close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finish Grade for Lawn Q's

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by d_rek, Jul 12, 2017.

1. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

First of all what is your goal? Is it just for something green or a lush nice lawn? How are you gonna keep it watered while sprouting (imperative) ?
    Your best bet might be to hydroseed it. Still gonna cost you some $.

2. d_rek

d_rek

My goal is to simply have some green turf at this point since all I have is a barren dirt patch after spraying the weeds. It doesn't need to be lush or picturesque, just good enough for the kids to run around on. I am not looking to have a trophy lawn.

I'm assuming I'll have to put seed down heavy and then oversees again after they sprout, then again next spring/fall for the next couple of years to get it nice and lush.

Watering it is going to be in mother natures hands. I am on a well with extremely salty well water so irrigation is out of the question.

I have a landscaping company coming out to quote me for hydroseeding. Well see what the damage is.

If it helps most of the yard is in direct sunlight for 8+ hours of the day. I have a soil test out to MSU right now so waiting on the results, but my soul is mostly a red clay, some loamy earth, some sand mix. Doesn't seem to have trouble growing the thick wide native grass variety and some other finer stuff that gets really lush....whatever it is(assuming it's not actually a weed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

3. d_rek

d_rek

Just had a landscape company come out to quote for a slit seed application. I guess it drives the seed a few inches into the soil? They recommended tilling about 2-inches and then going over with the power rake to prepare a seed bed, then they'll come out and seed.

They offer financing too which sounds a lot nicer than dropping a few more grand and a bunch of time on landscaping right now... kids and work and crap and all that fun...

4. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

The reason I asked about quality of grass is because fescue and bluegrass will require watering to stay green during dry periods. Kentucky 51 is rough fescue that requires little water during dry periods. I call it "state park grass". Will be green and grow under poor conditions and soil. Sounds like this is what will serve you. It is a wide blade grass that many people mistaken for crabgrass.

Not all grasses are equal. I mentioned hydro seed because it will provide a mulch layer to help retain moisture (much as straw would). This is a very poor time of the year to expect good results unless you have the ability to water daily. I would wait till mid to late Sept.

5. d_rek

d_rek

Yep... not trying to seed this time of year this is all project planning for early-mid September. The guy who came out said early Sept. would be best time to slit seed. He told me the grass mix he would use called it a 'Michigan mix' but I can't remember what varieties, though I know it contained only 20% bluegrass.

6. d_rek

d_rek

$1,800 to have 4,192 sq. yards slit seeded with the Michigan Mix and fertilized with 6-24-24. I'd be spending a little bit less than that to do it myself. Contractor guarantees the work and will come back and address problem areas after they seed. Sounds good to me!!

sNeAkYpEtE11 likes this.
  7. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Useless info for you, but put in perspective The Loop golf course built in 2015/2016 used $90,000 in seed. The seed filled a 53 foot semi trailer floor to ceiling. Opened lots of 50lb. bags to cover 85 acres of fairway. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me also.

d_rek likes this.
  8. d_rek

d_rek

I honestly had no idea seed cost so much. I was getting quotes for $120-150 for 50lbs of seed. I would have needed like 8-9 bags of seed. That's almost $1000 in seed. Plus cost to rent equipment would have been another $500-600. And you can't put a price on your time...

... so yeah. Makes a lot of sense to pay someone to do it!!

9. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Yeah, think about the effort to produce those bags of seed. Harvest then sift and sort trying to remove weed seeds and empty seed hulls. Storage and certification is big along with transportation. Bentgrass seed is like powder. Good luck, seed sprouts well now if it don't dry out too much til established, good luck you will be mowing it soon hoping the fertilizer burns out.