Finally home!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by johnhunter247, Oct 18, 2020.

1. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Another advantage is the inside of the deer stays much cleaner. I dont gut until I am near the truck

Anywho, great story and buck again.

DM90, Doghouse 5 and johnhunter247 like this.
  2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Was going to ask the same sniper ! John posted this am on LFTS, same set.
    @johnhunter247 good stuff!! he looks great and well deserved !

Love that set too. All the terrain changes remind me of my favorite set. 4 different terrains on all 4 sides of me ! Sure wish I could still get back there. I'd trade all 3 months of hunting for the 1st wk of November in that stand

3. He actually did according to the dnr. During the cwd test they aged him at 3 1/2. If that’s true I totally misjudged him. He weighed 192lbs gutted out. He looked like a mature buck when he was walking in. First time I seen him is when I killed him. Wasn’t lots of time to judge. But it’s tough to do live. Even dead I was thinking 4 or 5. Shows how much I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MichMac

MichMac

Awesome buck and great story, congrats! It's good to know there are public land bucks like that still out there.

DM90 and johnhunter247 like this.
  5. Spartan88

Spartan88

Took a nice 8 point two years ago, thought he was 3.5. Ended up being 9.5 or 10.

DM90 likes this.
  6. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

I wouldn't put too much into the MDNRs estimate. Most of the techs are seasonal and trained to recognize fawn, 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 and older. Your buck fell in to the 3.5 and old category. ;)

7. sniper

sniper

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

DM90 and Groundsize like this.
  8. retired dundo

retired dundo

Awesome mount all three of them are what I get in my dreams ay night.lve never evan saw one like those hunting.Those are super great

9. Groundsize

Groundsize

John, As always you rock...… Bad ass buck and story. Hard work sure does pay off to those who want the big bucks. Its not a given someone shoots a big buck such as this. Its hard work and dedication. Thumbs up from me buddy.

Paul

jiggin is livin, DM90, sniper and 3 others like this.
  10. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

I definitely remember this buck! Great job scouting, finding and accessing it the way you did!! Glad it paid off for you, hard work and persistence always pays off. Congrats, and I love the photos of you getting him out of there!

11. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Wow! Awesome buck and story!
    Congrats!!!
    <----<<<

johnhunter247 likes this.
  12. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Great story and leg work ! Great accomplishment and awesome reward !

johnhunter247 likes this.
  13. Fissshh On!

Fissshh On!

John,
    Beautiful buck and a great story. I took off 2 weeks in Nov last year and followed the LFTS every day. I remember your story. I was fortunate enough to get two bucks but the antler mass of mine is less than half of the mass of the one you got! For you I’m sure its nice to see those giants every once in a while. Jackson county always produces big deer. Good luck this season.

14. Namrock

Namrock

Awesome buck 247! Mount looks great 2, they did a great job on him for sure. I know you probably already said, but what did that beast net?

johnhunter247 and Doghouse 5 like this.
  15. He is 161 6/8 gross. Scored as a typical I don’t think he would be 140 with all the deductions. Because of the character(which I love, I’ll take a nontypical with lots of character over a typical straight forward rack any day. Although I’m not passing up any mature buck! I love them all. I’m just partial to nontypicals) he would definitely have to be scored as a nontypical. My life size mount went into commemorative bucks of Michigan as a nontypical as well. He grossed 174 and change and netted 169 7/8. But as a typical of I remember right when Jake E. Scored him he would have been mid 150’s with all the deductions from all the cool character he grew. I’m not a big fan of deductions. I think if they grow it then it should count. I hate taking away from the beauty of what they have grown. My favorite buck of all time is the hole in the horn buck. I love character. My two goals I have now may never be obtained but I’m definitely trying. I want a mature buck with a drop tine and a deer over 200”. Like I said probably never obtain them but we got to have goals right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckosal, Kennybks, Doghouse 5 and 7 others like this.