close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Filleting question

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by J Sibert, Sep 11, 2017.

1. gman1984

gman1984

there is a good 3 or 4 you tube videos on home made ones that really work well.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

Last solo limit for me 2 1/2 hours, that's cooler to freezer. Fillet, skinned, rinsed and bagged, with a 6" Rapala.

So you are doing good.

J Sibert and itchn2fish like this.

3. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Meant to type tips on how to scale them WITHOUT using a drum style descaler? I know theres some commercial descaler, but have always found it to be a huge PITA!

4. KI Jim

KI Jim

With a filet knife I do 60 an hour, but it is tiring. With an electric, I do 100 an hour no problem.

5. bounty hunter

bounty hunter

My guy is 45 cents a fish 6"or 14".

6. jakeo

jakeo

Don't bother with the "bucket scaler" as I had ordered one and it was pure junk. Not saying who
    carried it but it was just a paddle in a bucket operated by your drill. I made ground perch-gills in a matter of minutes. I'm saving for drum scaler.
    Just like just about everything else, Cabela's is out but have Christmas stuff,GRRRRRRRRRRR

7. FishinJoe

FishinJoe

I have a bucket scaler and when you learn how to use it I feel like does a great job.

8. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I'd guess you have to touch up a lot of fish with that bucket scaler,? anyone have any other tricks

9. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

There's a drum/tub style for sale in the classified right now. I have the same one, works good takes about 20-40 minutes to do a batch of 30-50 fish.
    I like the one above where do they sell them? What do they run?

10. gman1984

gman1984

I have been using the e-z- bucket scaller. Takes about 15 minutes for 20 fish. I do not have the patience to sit there with the drill in my hand for an hour so I used some duck tape on the trigger and placed the drill in the vice and off she went. 70 fish took approx an hour to scale while I was staging my equipment for next run. 8.5 lbs of filets.
    I do the you tube video and scaller sits in a plastic tub in the guys garage..............that one would work in the winter and that's what I need on our return from simcoe!

11. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

15-20 seconds per fish

Jay

ebijack likes this.
  12. taizer

taizer

the first few always take a long time but after about 10 or so its pretty smooth. If I take over 30min to clean all my fish I just give the rest away. I hate cleaning fish but also hate paying someone to do it.

I generally will only keep 25 or so perch a day but most of the time just give them to the partner

J Sibert likes this.
  13. J Sibert

J Sibert

That's fast

14. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Yep, usually involves some form of caffeine ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1505957305.383897.jpg , & no distractions! My favorite brew is my reward after.

J Sibert likes this.
  15. tvmanjon

tvmanjon

Those are some pretty good looking filets Jay Looks like you have it down to a science. Last Friday after getting back by 7:30 I had 120 to clean..3 hours just to get the meat off the skeleton. Then on ice till Saturday to de-rib and skin another 3hrs I guess I'm kinda slow.!
    Jon

J Sibert likes this.