close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fillet knives

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by J Sibert, Sep 13, 2017.

1. J Sibert

J Sibert

was wondering what all you DR/Erie anglers choice of weapons are?

I use the old 6" wooden handled rapella. In no videos on YouTube on filleting fish have I ever seen one of those. Thinking i need to upgrade. I know electrics are popular - and I'm sure I'll get one - but I like to have a good knife as well.

Sharpening tool favs as well.

etech61 likes this.
  2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I use the same thing you do. I keep that little sharpening tool that comes with it handy, sharp knife is good but too sharp and I start cutting thru the ribs. I toyed with the idea of an electric but I'm a knife guy, butcher my own deer etc... I'll let you buy one and try it!

J Sibert likes this.

3. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

Rap all knives, I use them as kitchen knives nearly every day and keep them razor sharp with this...Edgemaker Pro IMG_0004.JPG

Frank, boomer_x7, Cravin and 3 others like this.
  4. luckyfish

luckyfish

Same. Good ole 6" rapala for panny's and a 3 sided stone (corse,mid,and fine) for sharpening. I like em sharp so I tend to sharpen each time after a Batch of fish. I am interested in hearing how long the $$$ knifes keep an edge?

J Sibert likes this.
  5. Amos

Amos

I use both a 4" Rap and 6" Rap knife when cleaning any panfish. 4" is for taking the sides off, and 6" for skinning. Also have the Edgemaker Pro.
    Just been thinking of upgrades for all though.

J Sibert and milanmark like this.
  6. Fin-isher

Fin-isher

6" Rap & a similar off brand knife, all the time. I sharpen them after each batch so they're ready to go. I do have an electric that I got as a gift. Used it a couple times, but prefer the old fashion way. My Pa-in-law loves the electric, but I see he loses too much meat from the fillet. It makes quick work out of the fish, but it's not all about the speed! I feel better when I get the most out of my catch...also hoping it makes the fishing gods & lady of the lake happy!

7. St. Clair Slayer

St. Clair Slayer

I have used Mr. Twister for 20 years. Switched to Rapala electric this spring because although i like the Mr. Twister they just dont last like they used too. Not real happy with the new Rapala electric but it beats cleaning them manually. I can clean 2 perch a minute maybe a 2.5 on a good day. And i don't miss a lick with the electric.

J Sibert and Pole Setter like this.
  8. ICEGUY

ICEGUY Premium Member

Electric Fisherman for filleting and skinning, and a serrated Fiskars for ribbing. tightlinesyall

J Sibert likes this.
  9. Rencoho

Rencoho

Cutco's fishermen solution

DragginWire, sdjrobs and J Sibert like this.
  10. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

For me, as far as length of fillet blade. It depends on size of fish.
    For me a 6" is good for pan fish/smaller fish. But and larger walleye, salmon etc. I prefer a much longer blade. 7", 9" and a 12".
    The longer the blade, the more you can slice which is easier than pushing thru like most do with an electric. Which is also easier on my arthritic hands. And makes skinning much easier. I got rid of my electrics.
    As far as sharpers. I have quite a few manual types/brands. Depends on time and location which one/ones I use. I always have a couple with me.
    WFW I'm always touching up folks knifes for them.

11. terrylee86

terrylee86

The rapala red rubber handle is the only knife I have ever seen at the pro perch cleaners. For walleye I have used electrics for 20 years. I have an American anglers kit right now because all the charters at Brest Bay Marina cleaning station use them. I used a Black and Decker kitchen knife for years, but they quit making the one that lasts too long. They worked way longer than my old Mister Twisters, one year knife. I still have my last B&D and keep it for a back up. Have cleaned a lot of walleye with that knife, but the blades are getting a little dull and you can't get them.

12. BBBYpsi

BBBYpsi

Just learning about knives & sharpeners. I bought 4 bubba blades this year & must say disapointed in how fast it lost it's edge. So I came across knives of Alaska which has a 5.75 inch blade they call the steelheader made of 440c stainless steel real sturdy sharp knife but not much flex in it. The other on the combo is a 8 inch blade they call the coho which is like a tapered flex blade also made of 440c stainless steel & both have a rockwall hardness rating of 58-60. These blades should keep there edge extremely well. I also purchased a wicked edge field & sport pro & added the 3.5 & 5 microne strops with it. Victorianox also has a few really nice fillet knives.

13. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

The bubba blade I bought was dull from the get go IMHO. I put a good edge on it. Now it is a nice knife. I sharpen as required like all my other knifes.
    The harder the blade material, the longer/harder it takes to put a good edge on it. So when only a few swipes over the stones for carbon blades, triple how many strokes are required on the stones to get close to the same edge with stainless. Yes stainless holds an edge longer, but you spend more time getting a good edge. I prefer easy/quick touch up.
    Most would be surprised at how bad most stainless blades look under a scope. Takes more work to get close to a polished blade. There are many grades of stainless just like all other metals.

DoubleJay and fisheater like this.
  14. J Sibert

J Sibert

You hit the nail on the head regarding different grades of steel. I sell steel products and it's one of those "you get what you pay for" items. German steel is supposed to be the best - esp in knives - but the US makes very good steel as well. Don't buy anything imported from the east. Even if it's spec'd the same.

DoubleJay and St. Clair Slayer like this.
  15. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Ha! Your last comment "even if it's spec'd the same" is sad but so true! Most Asian mfrs will do a great job of getting qualified to the spec, bid low on the business, then make subtle but significant changes later to cheapen the materials and make their profit. And OBTW, they'll look you right in the eye and lie like all hell to save face, even when caught in the act! Buy AMERICAN if you can.