Field Dressing Knife

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by schmatzie, Feb 18, 2019.

1. schmatzie

schmatzie

Last season, I managed to break my Buck Knife (110). It was decades old and I was planning on replacing it anyway. I am looking for suggestions for a new deer hunting knife, maybe with some better steel than a traditional Buck Knife. Folder or fixed blade, it doesn't matter. Just looking for "the best" field Dressing knife. And there's no better group of experienced hunters that Michigan Sportsman members. So give me your ideas. Thanks

Blaze likes this.
  2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Funny you should ask..
    I have had a Buck 110 since the early 80's, and it is till in pretty good shape. However, as a gift I did receive a cheap knife (non-folding) with a gut hook that I used a few times. I really liked the the gut hook, so this Christmas I went on a search to find a good folding knife that came with a gut hook. I purchased 3 of them as Christmas presents and one for myself.
    Seems like a really nice knife for the money...
    Note that Buck and Kershaw also make some really nice looking gut hook folding knifes as well. These were out of stock last December, but I was happy with the Gerber anyway.
    Gerber Gator Folding Knife, Fine Edge, Gut Hook
    [​IMG]
    <----<<<

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I haven't found one better then a Buck 110. But I do like the looks of Rapid River Knives.

4. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

The smaller the better. Your EDC pocket knife works best as long as it's sharp.

5. junkman

junkman

Buck will repair or replace your knife free of charge.

JimP, Blaze and stickbow shooter like this.
  6. Namrock

Namrock

I don't personally have one, but I bought my dad a Royal 7 clip point from Rapid River. He really likes both how it fits in his hand & the edge it holds while skinning & butchering. I've tried & failed to steal it from him twice. I do have a couple of Gerber gator folders & have had them for 10 plus years. Not the easiest steel to sharpen, but once you get them there, they work great for gutting & skinning. (& even as a follow-up shot palm saver for your muzzleloader in a pinch)

Blaze and stickbow shooter like this.
  7. sparky18181

sparky18181 Premium Member

I’ll second rapid river knife company. Fine fine knives with many choices.

Blaze and stickbow shooter like this.
  8. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I like the smaller knives. My go to is a Case Mini Finn:

[​IMG]

The steel is OK, nothing special. Another I have that is small I like is, a Rapid River Finn and Feather:

[​IMG]

9. Justin

Justin

Both fine knives.

Doghouse 5 and Blaze like this.
  10. protectionisamust

protectionisamust

11. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Blaze likes this.
  12. UncleNorby

UncleNorby

I have a bad habit of losing knives. Somehow in the excitement I put the knife down and forget to pick it up when the gutting job is done. For the last few years I've carried a Schrade Sharpfinger with the orange handle. Seems to hold a good edge and hard to lose in the leaves.

Blaze likes this.
  13. old graybeard

old graybeard

I have enough knives to open a store of my own. As far as field dressing nothing beats my Buck 110 folder. I find most others to be way to big. I do own a Cutco and it is for sure the sharpest blade I own.

14. IT.Fisherman

IT.Fisherman

I really like using my Havalon since getting one. Have let a few other use it on their deer and turkey, each and every one of them immediately went and bought one for themselves. Only disadvantage is having to replace the blades, but they are fairly cheap.