Field CWD Testing My Idea

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Guy63, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Guy63

Guy63

If CWD can be passed by saliva shouldn't someone develop a mouth swab so when we go to tag and gut our deer we can test on the spot? One of these swabs should be given to us per license purchase. If the deer passes you go about your business normally. If it doesn't pass you get a free replacement tag when you bring the deer to a location for the DNR to take care of. The reason for banning of bait is saliva passing from deer to deer correct? If the state owns the deer like everyone says they own the disease that goes with them so knowing if your deer is infected or not should not be a hassle for the hunter, butcher, taxidermist or anybody else involved.

2. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Here is the process for testing. This is why. It isnt like a drug test. It is more involved. Saliva, urine and feces as well as nose to nose contact are why baiting is banned despite the DNR telling you directly that banning bait will have no direct effect on cwd transmission.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. Guy63

Guy63

I've heard what the process is and just watched the vid that's why I posted this. I could post 5 different websites stating it can be passed through saliva. Do I actually know, absolutely not. I don't think anyone actually knows at this point. What I'm saying is if it can be passed through saliva it can be tested for in the field by hunters.

4. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

No it can't. It is present in saliva. They do know that. The equipment needed to perform the test is not available in the field and is not easy to do. One could swab the mouth in the field but can not at this point perform the testing to detect a positive. I have a tough time believing you watched that video and dont understand why the testing can't be done in the field.

5. Guy63

Guy63

You must have missed the first sentence in my original post where I said DEVELOP.

6. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

They already have a test similar to what you propose. It's called RAMALT, and is in further development. At this time, it's not a viable test due to being highly inaccurate in detecting early stages of disease.

Other testing is also under development. One of which being a highly sensitive blood test. Early testing is showing great potential, but more testing is needed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Right but it isnt as easy as saying develop it. They dont do the current rigorous process because they like it to be expensive and time consuming. I am sure they are working on improving detection testing methods to make it easier and cheaper but it hasn't been developed yet. OTC is correct that there are some promising test that, if proven to be viable, would make testing simpler and cheaper and I believe allow for live testing as well.

What you said is like me saying, boy, the sun seems like a viable energy source that is constant and doesnt produce carbon gases. Someone should develop a way to use that and completely replace fossil fuels.

8. Guy63

Guy63

Yeah I'm talking 5 years out. Horses were good transportation too until the automobile was developed. Innovation is what makes this country great.

9. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

I get your point, and his. I trust that they are working on it though. There has already been great breakthroughs, but they just aren't quite there yet. It's the prime reason that I find these claims researchers are making that try to quantify the effects of CWD on populations to be pure nonsense.

The fact is, they don't have a clue because they can't even tell you with barely 50-60% accuracy which deer have early stages of CWD. Those deer are being included in CWD negative control groups, leaving only those deer with advanced stages of the disease in the CWD positive groups. This data error is like trying to quantify life expectancy of all pancreatic cancer by only measuring stage 3 and 4 cancers, but ignoring the life expectancy of stages 0-2.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    ridgewalker likes this.
  10. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Granted. I believe they are working on it. Whether it will be saliva sample or blood, I dont know but eventually I would bet the testing will be easier and less time consuming. I could see the ability to test a deer for your own purposes in the field, but for tag replacement and transporting a carcass, I would think a test perform by a dnr or state employee would be required.

11. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I agree with everything that otc has written in this thread. My fear with having a viable field test is that hunters will walk away from carcasses that they believe show a positive result. Would proper carcass disposal be a mandate or would it become just like dressing out a deer; leave it to rot or be eaten? Leaving that carcass in the field would not be a positive result for disease control IMO.

12. Guy63

Guy63

Walking away without taging is poaching. If I had a positive deer I'd take it off my property ASAP. I'd run the swab test before gutting and after tagging. Like I said already you would get a replacement tag on the spot when turning in the infected deer.

Blaze likes this.
  13. red wolf

red wolf

Large numbers of People would leave almost every deer that would test positive. The vast majority of hunters are weekend worriers and not invested in the sport. To be honest most could walk away from it and never look back.

I’m not saying i or people on MS are like this but we are the vast minority

14. Lily Furina

Lily Furina Banned

http://www.thealpenanews.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/2018/07/dnrs%e2%80%88bait-ban-wont-slow-deer-disease

[​IMG]

BREAKING NEWS
    Several businesses close because of weather
    DNR’s bait ban won’t slow deer disease

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

JUL 28, 2018

The DNR has proposed to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) a statewide ban on baiting (LP only). The Commission will act on the recommendation in the next few weeks and announce on Aug. 9. The purpose is to limit the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD). It won’t work. CWD is spread by bodily fluid exchange, any bodily fluid, not just saliva left on a beet but also buck semen, vaginal fluids, blood sucking insects [TICKS] and more. This proposal will not stop the spread of the disease. On average, bait is on the ground less than one week a year for most hunters. Yet the breeding activity goes on for three months with multiple encounters and copulation fluid-exchange daily with almost all the deer involved. I have read the research and discussed with many state veterinarians and especially the State of Wyoming Veterinarians, where they have never allowed baiting and yet they have the most extensive spread of the disease of any state. With our current knowledge there simply is no known cure, preventative or way to slow the spread, short of lowering the deer population.

I worry that, if this ban goes into law, it will never return. It will be gone forever. Voice your opinion now by writing to the NRC, 525 W. Allegan St., PO Box 30028, Lansing, Mich., 48909 or e-mail the NRC at [email protected]

Added note from Lily: As yourself what has changed in nature? Blood sucking insects is the answer. Specifically the plague like epidemic of Ticks swarming across America due to the rise of the coyote population. We must go to war against ticks and the coyote or we will lose this battle before we recognize the enemy.

15. syonker

syonker

Although transmission of CWD across species has yet to be confirmed, in our current hyper litigious society any field test would have to be 100% accurate to avoid a lawsuit from consuming infected deer that lead to a disease in humans.

I’m thinking a product warning label wouldn’t be sufficient for a company to avoid litigation.