Ficious Jigs 2013 ice season

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ficious, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Joeker51

Joeker51

Spotted ones look great. :coolgleam Stunners, wonder where Bummer got the idea . :16suspect ;)

2. mtwillard

mtwillard

Was wondering if you had thought about adding beads to the fry's?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Bob D

Bob D

Yes, the spotted ones. I have a proto pink one that glows purple with chartreuse bead. Nice work. The bug-eye looks great too.

4. jasona44

jasona44

Ordered a bunch more jigs on Wednesday and they arrived today!!! Thanks for the awesome turnaround. Can't way to try out the new jigs on Higgins for some perch!!! This big sunfish was caught using one of the tear drops I bought a couple weeks ago.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Michael Wagner

Michael Wagner

Jason I keep trying to get Ficious to make me some teeny tiny size 12 -14 jigs for Higgins smelt but all he says is "thems bait fish" :lol::lol::lol:

6. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

Truth of the matter is that blanks with holes are hard to come by in a size that compliments a number 12-14 hook. Can't imagine trying to thread a hook that small through the eye, even in a shanty.

One little, terrible, experience has jaded me for life. Catch all ya want, they just ain't fer me. I'll chase the last ice crappies and gills.

Hoping to get the new stuff in previous posts up sometime today.

Harry

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. jasona44

jasona44

Was also wondering which ones come with beads on the hooks? I must have over looked those because I ordered all bead less I guess.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. ficious

[QUOTE=mtwillard;4970890]Was wondering if you had thought about adding beads to the fry's?

Beads can be added to most jigs, mine or anyone else's. They can also be removed with a pliers, simply crush it.

Field addition:

Slide the desired bead onto the hook as far as it will go without forcing it. I'm right handed, so reverse if you are left handed. Put the point of the hook(with the bead still on it) on your left thumbnail. Slide the hook out of the bead as far as you can without dropping the bead. Hit the bend of the hook with a lighter for about 4 seconds. Slide the bead to the desired position(quickly) and that's it.

I have added 4mm beads to the Fry in the past but the issue becomes they won't stay on. The combination of the fine wire hook and the large hole in the bead makes them fall off easily. The barbs just aren't big enough to keep them on for long.

I have put glass beads on Fry before but they have their own drawbacks. On very cold days, the water in the hole freezes and the bead shatters off. Most likely they make the hole so big that they can be used for crafts too. Still searching for 4MM beads with small hole. I use them myself but they just don't hold up well.

jasona44

Was also wondering which ones come with beads on the hooks? I must have over looked those because I ordered all bead less I guess

Beads come on many of the Model 34's. I'm going to be putting the 3 models w/beads on the previous page up today sometime. they still have to be cleaned and beaded. Lil' Minnies Glow Smerch will get a small restock today too.

Harry

9. Anish

Anish

Please, do tell... :D

10. 2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver Premium Member

I'll second it.:)

11. just afew

just afew

Thanks Harry got my stuff yesterday , fast service thanks. The baby zitz with a longer dropper and waxy have been fun working with. The freedom of that hook really helps, most fish I had hit were negative and while sight fishing I watched them come up suck part of the worm and then a second gulp to get the rest and the hook in . They didn't feel any resistance or weight , didn't miss any fish that came in , my brother was jiggin a spoon and everyone ended up coming over to me and I caught them :lol: your glows are real impressive .

12. ficious

Well......I'll relive the trauma.

Early 80's, I was invited by my best fishin buddy to come along on a trip to Pt. Pelee. Shortly before we were to leave I came down with a high fever. Since I was slotted to work the 90' seine, I had to go or the trip would be scrubbed, so I went anyway. We were a party of 4, two older gents(his dad and uncle) and my buddy and I.

We rode the train to the last stop and walked down the beach for a quarter mile or so. It was the first spot we had room to work the net. We were carrying twenty 5 gal buckets and a metal rinse tub and the seine.

Never having done it before, I was designated the "swing man". That meant my buddy walked in to his knees, I drew the net tight and swung while he stayed stationary. About 88' out I was near the top of my waders when I stepped off a ledge, stumbled and fell. Working to keep up speed so the fish didn't escape the net, as I was stumbling over large fish.

Since I was already wet, I kept swinging for another two trawls after which all the buckets we had were full of fish, no water. Since the older gents weren't in shape to carry buckets, my buddy and I carried 4 buckets each trip, in loose sand, waders, and in my case, lots of water. Did I mention I had a high fever? Absolutely MISERABLE, but suck it up and do it!

My take was 5 buckets. I got home at 3:30am, had to go be at werk at 7am. Nope, didn't make it. Spent the day cleaning smelt. My standard utility tub was mounded to the point I could not even put ice on them, the water hit the floor and made another mess to clean up. After 8 hours of half hearted cleaning I gave up. There had to be another way.

OK....I'll just give them away. Turns out that it was a good year for smelt and everyone that I could think of had all they wanted. Here's 5 dollars, please take a bucket.......then someone would ask the dreaded question......"are they clean". HELL NO they aren't, that's why I'm paying you to take them. I will not waste something I have killed.

What a moron! Judicious use of the word "NO" would have solved the problem, but I didn't want to let the others down.....what a dumb*****.

The word is now NO anytime smelt is mentioned.

I don't salmon fish much these days so they aren't even "bait" anymore.

Harry

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. Michael Wagner

Michael Wagner

Yeah but we don`t even have to get in the water to catch "smelt" now :D

14. ficious

Keyword.....smelt

nuffsed.

Harry

15. ficious

On an unrelated sub.

I have tons of jigs, most aren't glow, left over from previous sites that I have operated......all the way back to eBay.

What to do with them?.....

Harry