Fibrous lesions/Warts

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by pgpn123, Sep 13, 2020.

1. pgpn123

pgpn123

Look a little raw, but I think that's what it is.

skin les 2.JPG skin les 1.JPG

2. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

You can submit pics to the DNR and they will let you know what these might be. I have with similar growths on Deer when I got them years back and they have always replied. as I had a decent Buck with a wide split between it is front shoulders they never really seen anything like that and hoped if I shot the deer I would provide more details. Had many pics but never got a shot and have not see that Buck again. Could be a deer fly that caused these but again the DNR might give better info. A few weeks back, I report a large cat along the side of 131 and they went and found it and it was a Bobcat. Not seen a cat along a road before... Might be worth asking them...
    Newaygo1

Nostromo, pgpn123 and motdean like this.

3. pgpn123

pgpn123

The little guy has more problems, he's a tough one.

skin les 3.JPG skin les 4.JPG

4. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

5. syonker

syonker

On pics #1 & #2, I vote for bot fly larva.

6. textox

textox

Fibromatosis is common in all north American cervids.Whitetail deer , Mule deer ,Moose
    Elk and Cariboo can have it.Skin tumors are a dead giveaway that an animal has it.Those tumors are called Fibromas and are caused by Papilloma Virus.First 2 photos are an example..

7. textox

textox

1% of white tail Deer will have these viral infections,they usually pose no risk to the infected animal.Those tumors will come off with the skin if the deer is harvested to be eaten. the virus is unsightly but is no threat to humans and does not effect the Quality or the taste of the meat...