close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feral Hog Trapping vs Hunting

Discussion in 'Feral Pig Control and Hunting' started by BoarBuster Hog Trap, Aug 9, 2017.

1. BoarBuster Hog Trap

BoarBuster Hog Trap

While most of us enjoy the hunt of any species, are we adding to the problem of feral hogs and the damage they cause? It is very well documented that feral hogs reproduce so rapidly that you must eradicate at least 70% of the population to keep up with the current year reproduction of feral hogs. With that being said, hunting them drastically undershoots this number and spreads the population out to live and reproduce another day.

Consider this, if we truly want to get a hold on the population, we must consider trapping. When considering trapping, what traps are you using and how successful are you with these traps?

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

No ferals by me.
    A neighbor where I hunt reported a pig walking down the road followed by a gunshot.
    Were I to build a trap it would be stout and root ( with snout) resistant with a heavy one way gate.
    Hogs I raised could raise havoc if excited.Takes alot to secure a big one with experience.

3. GrayMan

GrayMan

I've trapped a few back in Georgia. It's fun. Trap was circular with a drop gate, four foot high fencing, big one got out once but the little ones taste better anyway. You have to check it pretty much every day. Pigs are skittish and smart. They won't go in a similar trap once they've been spooked. It's different, but the pigs still taste the same, and with how hogs range I think it's the best way to get em. I can link you the trap we used if you like, it's not hard to build.