Fence line hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Mike L, Dec 2, 2019.

1. pgpn123

pgpn123

You're zooming to the worst case scenario. What if it's just the landowner that wants to hunt? How much land do you recommend everyone should have? Hypothetical, not really asking. Even if you have 40 acres...is that enough?...you'd lose a certain radius while the neighbor can hunt near the line. That's tacky imo.

Trout King likes this.
  2. pgpn123

pgpn123

Copy. But I didn't mean archery during gun. At least you wouldn't lose the radius during bow season. Is that right? Was asking.

3. pgpn123

pgpn123

If you didn't have that equipment, I'd really like to be your neighbor. Your state land hunting practices are the model everyone should follow. End of all issues.
    I'm saying the world is shrinking. Property issues will only get worse. To lose a radius area while the neighbor can hunt his side when his dwelling is close, because he gives himself permission, seems wrong imo. Not sure what the answer is.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Had a neighbor who built his new house of his neighbors blind that had been there for years. After the house was built he told the neighbor to move his blind and then got told to go to h*** . It wound up in court and the judge said the blind could stay because it was there first and the new home owner knew about the blind and planned to hunt that same area.

miruss likes this.
  5. melvvin

melvvin

In all fairness November Sunrise started it.
    Back to working on my next bill, targeting button bucks in the cwd hot zone as long as you are straddling the property line. Going to call it the 1 foot in rule!

mmac1318, Bomba, Waif and 4 others like this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

While we are on the subject of changing regulations via state reps....

I just finished working through a new bill with my local rep. We are calling it the neighborly act. This will eliminate the need ask permission to track a deer for retrieval purposes onto neighbors property as long as there was a blood trail documented within the past 36 hrs. There were a few hiccups drawing this up. We came up with tracking hrs between 10-2 and after dark like the snowmobile hrs during gun season... to keep from disturbing hunters. Farmers weighed in about potential crop damage so foot traffic only and if deer retrieval causes crop damage the hunter will be responsible for retribution of crop along with a written apology.

This law is only in effect if the deer was shot on a parcel of atleast one half acre. Idea is to create more hunting opportunities for small land owners and increase license sales.

NbyNW, Chessieman, Waif and 5 others like this.
  7. pgpn123

pgpn123

I'm buying stock in ketchup

8. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

US Surpreme Court -

UNITED STATES v. CAUSBY et ux.

a landowner still has dominion over “at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land.”

In that case the court held that a plane flying 83 feet in the air( scaring the plaintiff’s chickens to death) represented an invasion of property.

They've defined navigable airspace as anything above 500'.

So unless you have a really tall house or building - your private airspace probably ends somewhere between 80' and 500'. Above 500' you definitely have no property rights. Below about 80' it's definitely private. In between will be determined by courts and circumstances.

9. rippper

rippper

our lease is mostly agricultural fields. we hunt the fence lines. The deer we shoot come FROM the woods, bedding areas our neighbors own. we NEVER shoot towards their property. Never had any issues with any neighbors.

selectcut and bowhunter426 like this.
  10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

During the archery deer season there is no 450’ safety rule.

pgpn123 likes this.
  11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

So are you saying I cant fly my drone below 80 ft over someones land? I believe drones are required to stay below 400'. Congress has given about 200 cooperations exemptions on any distance below 500' so companies like amazon can test ideas like drone delivery of packages.

12. trucker3573

trucker3573

Just remember that 30 ft of property on your side of the fence is off limits to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groundsize likes this.
  13. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Where is that law written?

14. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Look at post # 1 again.

L & O

Bob D likes this.
  15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Are you saying that you don't realize that the post by N.S. and some of the others are just a joke ?

L & O