Feeling a bit better

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by chemo13, May 15, 2018.

1. chemo13

chemo13

Update: Due to hypothermia and dehydration the fawn died last nite. Rehaber said it had probably been without it’s mom for sometime. I figure it was probably the twin of the first one I found dead Sunday morning.

2. wildthing

wildthing

Too bad. I wondered also if maybe the second one wasn't a twin of the first one. Who knows what happened to mom?

Too bad it didn't make it but at least you gave it a chance to survive.

3. growninmi

growninmi

Sad news. You did what you could. Better to have done something than done nothing.

4. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

Good job chemo, and sorry to hear about the little guy !!!
    You have my respects for a true sportsman!!

chemo13 and wildthing like this.
  5. roger15055

roger15055

Anti pukes complain about us but we are the sportsmen and sports women who do whatever we can to help animals that are in danger and the first to improve habitat for all animals. Chemo tried to help and it didn't turn out like he had hoped and as we all hoped! But he tried and my hats off to you for trying.

6. wildthing

wildthing

The sad truth of the matter is that roughly 50% of the fawns born this spring will still be alive in 6 months to be counted among the "recruitment" numbers. The other 50% will perish as did these fawns on Chemo's property, from abandonment, predation, pneumonia, traffic collisions, ad infinitum. Mother Nature can be cruel and a newborn fawn faces many challenges along the way.

All we can do as sportsmen is to do the best we can to provide them with good fawning cover and nutrition (habitat), help out with trigger control management to keep the deer herd in balance (both physically and socially), and maybe try to keep predators somewhat "in check". Mother Nature will still dictate the "bottom line".

Chemo is to be commended for his thoughtful decision making process and actions in both cases. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had the final say...

7. mbrewer

mbrewer

Were they both males?

8. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Told you to stimulate it

J/K

Hey you gave it a shot

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. chemo13

chemo13

Thanks for response guys. I didn't check 1st one, 2ens was doe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

mbrewer likes this.