close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite walleye jigs

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Zkovach1175, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

so is a jig a jig? Or do u guys have your favorite kinds? And weights? Just curious if a cheapo Walmart round ball will work just as good as a 7.00 rapala jig rap

2. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

If you think a baseball will work just as good as a basketball then yes, get the round balls.

Different shape jigs have different purposes and in many cases radically different actions. Strictly vertical jigging with live bait? Round is fine, even preferable. Looking for reaction bites while aggressively popping on structure? The Rap or a darter/minnow head or an aspirin head are better choices. Dragging bottom? Stand up jig. Your choices should be dictated by how you are fishing the jig. Frankly, you can probably get by with just a couple of types while you figure out which style works best when, and learn the most important part, feel. But be aware of this, lead is about the same price for everyone, it's the hooks and paint that make most of the difference in price. Cheap hooks dull easily and straighten easily. You'll lose more fish with them but at least you'll know you got bites.

Zkovach1175, Burksee and Mags like this.

3. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I appreciate the info! I’m heading the Canada in spring and I’ll make sure I have a bunch of each type

4. Fishing4Fire

Fishing4Fire

If you're talking about verticle jigging was a big fan of the jigs my wife just bought me from dead end tackle. They offer a few different choices I liked their detroiter style the most personally. If you're speaking swim jigs I'm not much of an expert. Good luck on the trip!

5. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

For Canada I would not bother with jigging minnows like the Rapala, way too many snags for lures that expensive. You say spring so a collection of round in 1/8 & 1/4 will do for just about every situation, the walleye ain't picky there. If you plan on fishing bait with no plastic you'll need short shank hooks, long shank for when you dress the hook. I do as well without bait so I don't bother. Some flat sided heads like the VMC Mooneye or minnow head like the Northland Slurp in 1/4 & 3/8 are nice for casting. Fluke plastics and paddle tails work great for swimming and aggressive retrieves, better than curly tails imo which work great for steady retrieves. Gold, silver, white chartreuse, orange will cover most of your color needs and work well at home, too.

Where are you headed? Couple links that I found helpful.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing-tips-and-tactics/5-walleye-jigging-tactics/

http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye/walleye-jigging-experiments/

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  6. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I saw your post and looked them up. Was hoping to see them at the show this weekend but didn’t see them

Fishing4Fire likes this.
  7. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

8. Fishing4Fire

Fishing4Fire

Yea I was too. I had emailed them prior to the show and they said they did not have a booth this year but, they were going to be there helping the dwf booth.
    Idk if everyone marks their prices way up at the show but everyone was a lot more expensive then them on the site and honestly idk maybe I got a really good batch but not one of mine had the hook eye filled with paint, and the paint was super smooth. I would definitely check them out.

9. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Thanks for the info. I’m headed waterfalls lodge and taking my sister and her kids so I’ve been preparing two tackle boxes. Her kids love to fish so I wanted to take them on a trip of a lifetime. There’s walleye, pike, huge smallmouth, and lake trout.

http://www.waterfallslodge.com/fishing/main_lakes.htm

kzoofisher likes this.
  10. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I saw their jigs on their site and look great but I noticed they are pretty heavy 3/4oz being the smallest in most cases. I haven’t walleye fished a lot but I usually don’t go over 3/8’s

11. Fishing4Fire

Fishing4Fire

Yea I mainly fish tube Detroit River so those I'm a big fan of the 3/4 or in shallow water the I'll stop to 5/8th. Sorry I always post from my fishing standpoint.

12. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

U using plastics or live bait with a 3/4oz?

13. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

if your doing river jigging 3/4 oz round jig is all you need if on a lake go lighter maybe 1/4 oz...chartreuse for clear water and black for stained water. Never needed any other colors or types. I use fin-s minnow or a wyandotte worm and change up the colors if needed...Keep it simple its just jiggin ;) no need to go crazy with a million types and weights. If early spring tip with a minnow. Also make sure you use a stinger hook on the end of the jig 75% of fish come on the stinger, I use a size 8.

You can also try a worm harness they work great and you can troll and cover more ground...once you find the walleye switch to jigging and mop em up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Fishing4Fire likes this.
  14. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

I'd take plenty of twister tails and round balls and let the kids do a slow swim retrieve with the occasional pop and fall back to the bottom. 100 packs of 3" Mister Twister are cheap, white, yellow, chartreuse and a dark color will cover all your situations. That'll pick up walleye, bass and pike and they'll never know what is going to happen next. They can always drop 'em over the side and vertical jig if they get tired of casting. Take some tube jigs, too. Catch both smallies and walleye and they don't get hung up nearly as much as other jigs,

15. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

We got crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers. I never used them before so eager to try. We have 1.5-2oz bouncers. I like that idea of trolling to find the fish then switching to jigs. Good call!