close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite rod and reel?

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by OH-YEAH!!!, Apr 3, 2018.

1. neazor91

neazor91

The best fly rod I've ever owned is the one I presently use most of the time. It's a Powell tiboron II, 9 foot, 5 wt. The reel is a Powell switchback. This is a very light rig that casts with little effort.

2. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I just started fly fishing and I use a Loomis nrx 9weight paired with a konic... use it for salmon and steel. Might try and do some musky fishing with it.

3. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I've had an oh so slow Orvis 9/3 superfine for 25 years. It doesn't have much backbone but is very forgiving with hooked fish. Certainly not a big fish rod but that's not what I use it for.

unclecrash likes this.
  4. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I have that rod. I usually pair it with a Tibor or a Hardy.

That's kind of like the question, "What's your favorite beer?". Answer: The one in my hand...:lol:

I have so many rods and reels, I can't even list them all from memory.

For light dry flies, I built a Sage LL 8'9" 3 wt.

For punching streamers, a Scott 8'8" 8 wt.

For Hex fishing a Sage 9' 6wt. Or the 10' 6 wt. depending on the stream being fished.

For Steel, a custom Scott 11' 7" 6 wt. mini spey.

For light spinning for trout, I like my Kencors or vintage Sabres, most are glass and some are glass/graphite 'zebra' hybrids. Those Shakespeare Micro-lights are cheap but great IMO.

I'm currently building a 5'4" Kencor that should be suitable for 'giant' hunting in smaller rivers. It should be pretty sweet when finished.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  5. unclecrash

unclecrash

I love my orvis fullflex rods wouldnt sell them for the world. My 3 and 2 weight may be delicate finesse rods ,but dont count them out on landing huge fish. I have landed them broad stock on even the two weight lots of fun if you like to finesse fish.

6. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

The funny thing is, when I posted this I couldn't remember the name of the model I have to use with the 6 wt. I looked on the Tibor website and couldn't find it... Well I finally just dusted it off and it's a 'Freestone'. Turns out they only made so many and then discontinued making them. The funny part is they are now considered 'rare' and highly in demand and can routinely fetch $400- $500 on eBay. :lol: Here is one just like mine with an extra spool that sold for over $800! :yikes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIBOR-Free...109287?hash=item213a10efe7:g:IJsAAOSw15FamPvm

7. Trout King

Trout King

Echo Boost 2wt / Abel SS (my friend's rod). Love that thing, but with how much I fly fish I can't justify replicating that rig. I guess my St. Croix c9mbo will have to do for hopper fishing MI.

The fish below was probably the most memorable fight of my fishing career. Ocean fresh Silver while bead fishing dolly varden on the Anchor River.
    [​IMG]

BMARKS likes this.
  8. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Whatever will let me cast like this:

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  9. jd4223

jd4223

My favorite rod/reel set up is my Cabelas TLR 10' 7wt 2 piece rod with a new 7/8 wt Redington Behemouth reel spooled with the new Air Flo Shovelhead line(280grn) designed by Kelly Galloup.

Trout King likes this.
  10. Davey Boy

Davey Boy

My favorite rod is the one I'm using when I am fishing. My first fly rod though was a yellow Wright McGill. While I was organizing the camper for the ride home, my buddy was organizing his truck. Well he put the rods on the top of his truck topper then said" we need more ice for the cooler". You can guess what happened next. When we pulled back into Canoe Harbor some guys asked if we lost a rod and my buddy asked them what color was the one they found. Green, so back up and down M72 and we never fond mine.

Trout King likes this.
  11. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

If I remember correctly, I think that reel was about $225 new. Oh Well, into each life a little rain must fall. ;)

12. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I honestly can't remember what I paid for mine. I'm pretty sure I got it for a serious discount through an employee pricing scheme when they first came out. I think the Freestone retailed for around $500 because the Everglades was like $600 retail from what I can recall from memory. There was no way I could have afforded that at the time though.