Favorite river combo for walleye

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by Max lee, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Max lee

Max lee

Currently just got my main set up all ready for when this run picks up, has me thinking what is everyone's favorite combo? What's your go to if you only are allowed one rod one reel, one bait/plastic. I'm currently using a 6'3 lamigals med/hvy ex fast act rod paired with pflueger president series reel with 10lb braid. What's this stack up to most of what you guys are using? I'm only able to fish from shore so maybe that will leave for some variation in answers, any sworn by colors? Ik there is been years where blue ice has been almost undefeated. Any predictions on when this run will be decent? Been out to vets a few times so far and no luck. I'm far from an expert but I know I'm knowledgeable enough to at least get a couple fish to shore when they are in good and hungry.any main predictions on the hold up? I've been out with essentially perfect conditions trying various colors of jigs accompanied by different colors and styles of swim baits as well as trying to jig minnows and even throwing some crank baits. Perch rigs haven't done much better. Mostly end up with junk fish on them before a perch gets the chance. Hopefully this post hasn't came off to long winded or intrusive not a familiar or typical poster on the site. Any help would be appreciated I know many of the fisherman on this form have much more experience then myself, any help/advice would be appreciated. Just looking to hook into a few fish here soon. Best of luck to you all this season and tight lines. Thanks again. Ps mean for this to be specific to the sag river but I also do dabble around the tit.

Biga likes this.
  2. justgettinstarted

justgettinstarted

I use a 25$ Wal-Mart combo with 1/2 oz or heavier ( depending on current) jig head and 4in split tail minnow in blue ice, pump daddy, wonder bread or a bloody nose perch color. But when not bitting I'll try any thing I can get my hands on. Also use jig head and minnow.

Sent from my LML211BL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Max lee likes this.

3. Max lee

Max lee

I appreciate the response, and funny how In that river system some days they couldn't care less what's swimming in front of them and some days they are crazy picky.

4. cykondel

cykondel

I always use 1/2 ounce jigs I like to feel the bottom and keep my line straight as possible. I use 6 ft 2 in Jason Mitchell walleye jigging rods,8 lb hi VIs yellow fireline. I used to use Pflueger resident reels with 5.2 to 1 ratios I switched over Daiwas with 6.2 to1 and large-diameter spools. My reels have a return rate of 34 to 36 inch per turn so I can bring up my bait fast to check it and get it back down. I use lunker City fin s minnows, natural colors in Clearwater bright colors in stained water. In Coldwater I have been going back to live minnows with either orange or chartreuse twister tails. The Twister Tails slow the drop so it's in the walleye face a little longer. Even with all the attention to detail unfortunately I get my share of big ole skunks more often than I want to admit! I get humbled a lot!

5. shoprat51

shoprat51

Sam's Club $35.00 ugly stick walleye rod 7.0 ft carbon x reel 10 lb braid 6ft 10lb fluarocarbon leader have 2 set up identically

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. "Big Tuna"

"Big Tuna"

My best combo for walleye is a lemon sweetened fish fry mix with a big ol fat onion.:)
    :)
    Colors and weights depend on the day. Clouds, sun, turbidity.... Different shades of green are usually my favorite. Purple and blues also can be productive.

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  7. Baybum

Baybum

Fenwick elite tech 5'9" mxf, suffix 832 6/15, gold northland fire eye jig, ballsy blue fins or brown ww.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect setup too. I ran a Lamiglas closer (6’3”) last year with an okuma ceymar and it worked great. Ended up breaking it early this fall and lamiglas didn’t want to make me much of a deal ($10 off a new blank. Lol.) so I decided to go with a different manufacturer this year. Picked up a Denali myriad (6’3”) this year and this thing is absolutely incredible. Franks has them for $99.99 which is a great deal. They’re normally $129.99. Paired it with another okuma ceymar and I’m extremely happy. I’ll be buying more to phase out my older rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer Premium Member

I usually use two 6.5' Ugly Sticks with flip bail reel (not sure of name) and 6# Maxima line. Put on 3/8 ounce jigs or if current allows 1/4oz from Walmart. Tip with 3" Arkansas Shiner or 4" Blue Ice. I use to use live bait but the real run starts when it is cold and dipping in the water gets a little old and cold. I always use the 6# line as I would rather lose the the jig and plastic than break the rod. I have seen many rods broken by guys trying to save the jigs from snags. Let them have the 35 cent jig and 50 cent plastic rather than ruin the 30 plus dollar rod. But that is just me.

lrandy and APPLENOCKER like this.
  10. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Salted minnows no water required.
    Never saw a rod broke by pulling it horizontal towards you.

trapman and Adamwesley like this.
  11. trapman

trapman

What size reel? Also where did u buy the Lamiglass rod from sounds like not good customer service u can pm about the rod if u choose thanks.Mike

12. Adamwesley

Adamwesley

I run a 2000 size reel. Bought the blank straight from Lamiglas. I build a lot of my own rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman