Favorite out of state duck trip

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by RS1983, Oct 23, 2020.

1. RS1983

RS1983

For you guys who have hunted out of state, what was your favorite destination and why?

Pat P likes this.
  2. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

go to canada for quantity. go to louisiana for quality....maybe texas. birds are full plume...and most locals have calmed down by end of season, less pressure. early january or over christmas holidays down there can be amazing. good fishing during down time also.

donbtanner, duckboy123, Pat P and 4 others like this.

3. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

The only waterfowl species I have never taken out in the prairie states is a fulvous tree duck, so I question the better variety comment. Once you have been lucky enough to view a Grand Passage event, then you will be "hooked" on this area. I hunt the heart of the Missouri Coteau; steep rolling prairie interspersed with wheat fields, peas and some corn. The winds can be wicked, but the views are quite stunning, plus I hunt sandhill cranes about half of the time over decoys. We modified some wood Tim Grounds Honker calls into crane calls, but Deception Decoys now sells a very good crane call. When you start calling cranes just mimic back what they are "saying", eventually you will pick-up what constitutes a greeting call(extended loud rolling trill) and a danger or weary call- a very short rattling knock. Juveniles call via a nasally peep that you can duplicate on a plastic Roy Gonia dog training whistle (DO NOT HUNT CRANES WITH A DOG), just don't attempt to use this call to finish a flock about to set into the decoys, they will flare or drift-off to the side. Huns, sharptails, and pheasants available in abundance when you want to switch to upland game. Geese? Canadas, snows and blues, specks, and swans with a permit in-hand are also available in abundance.

When field hunting, particularly in low visibility, always wear a wrist compass, it can be a long hike to the next section road if you takeoff after a bird that "sailed" in the direction of a bunch of highballing mallards on water. Found the bird and the pond, but spent nearly an hour trying to figure-out where my decoy spread and partners were until I stumbled into a small grain storage silo that I remembered from the prior day's scouting.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    RS1983 likes this.
  4. walter sniper

walter sniper

Ballard county Kentucky in January

Far Beyond Driven and RS1983 like this.
  5. Icefishndad

Icefishndad

Nebraska’s Rainwater Basin marsh’s this time of year, especially after a hard freeze in the Dakota’s. The variety of birds is amazing. It’s usually a narrow window of opportunity but when you hit it right it can be magical. You can also spend your down time hunting pheasants, quail, prairie chickens and shooting doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

RS1983 likes this.
  6. twoteal

twoteal

Bayou Deview Arkansas.

donbtanner and RS1983 like this.
  7. don novicki

don novicki

Used to be Nodak before everything was posted. Now I would like to try Nebraska or Oklahoma. Seems like they shoot the **** out of the greenneads out there.

8. RS1983

RS1983

Has anyone been out west of great plains? The states that I find most interesting are the ones with public land and simple regulations... reading over some of the laws from the southern part of the country make me glad that I grew up in Michigan. Having to mess around in areas where duck leases are as common a deer leases are and laws where people have to draw for blinds they keep all season surely discourage the freelance hunter

9. Ducks10

Ducks10

I like North Dakota, hunt the northeast corner of the state about 70 miles from Canada, always hunt the start of their second week, The first two weeks in North Dakota you are allowed eight birds daily but must have 2 blue wing teal as the extra birds, it’s their version of the early teal season. The variety of birds that we shoot is crazy, there have been days that we shoot 10 to 11 different species in the day. No issues getting on land to hunt the slews.

Sea Nags and RS1983 like this.
  10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

I spent a couple of days there prior picking-up a retriever in Kansas watching the sandhill crane migration back north; beautiful marsh country.

Icefishndad likes this.
  11. CJT

CJT

12. TNL

TNL

Stuttgart was fun with both flooded timber and flooded rice paddy hunts. NoDak and the prairie pothole region is where like 50% of Amierica's ducks come from. Getting on an epic feed with 50-100K ducks is something to behold-at least once in your life. Canada if trigger time and piles are your thing. I've seen all the blinds on the Ponchatrain and am told you better mind your manners there.

Some of my bucket list are:
    PEI for some blacks
    St. Paul Island in the Bering Sea
    Currituck Sound for old school waterfowling
    Argentina for ducks and doves
    Shiawassee River State Game Area

duckboy123, RS1983, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  13. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

North Carolina. Sink box hunting redheads, pinners and brant on the OBX. Private impoundment hunting, basically your own Private Fish Point that is hunted only once a week and it’s just you. Field hunting tundras, layout hunting All 3 scoter species on Pamlico Sound

14. bombcast

bombcast

eastern Washington is pretty amazing. Spokane River and associated levees. Insane mix of puddle ducks. North central TX at end of January is the best specimen hunting I've had. Both can be DIY.

15. ahartz

ahartz

Somewhere I have never been. Did Longpoint Ontario last year. Maine in on the list....