Favorite deer hunting gadget, tool, item?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bucknasty11208, Sep 27, 2020.

1. John Hine

John Hine

They’re a newer Rage I started shooting last year. It’s like hitting them with a hatchett! Lol

2. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Like Chuck Adams would say in those commercials...”It’s like throwing an ax through an animal“

3. bigbuckmiddaugh

bigbuckmiddaugh

I Have brand new string tracker in package with a pkg. of new string lol have had it for years lmao

vsmorgantown and old graybeard like this.
  4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Disposable hand warmers are something I buy every year. I love hunting when it’s cold out.

5. mac66

mac66

Since no one mentioned it yet, headlamp. Useful for finding your way to your blind before sunup (using the red light, for night vision) and for gutting a deer after sundown in the evening.

Chem lights/light sticks-useful for marking blood spots when tracking deer at night. I usually carry two to line up the spots.

6. Red Wagon

Red Wagon

Yup. A good quality hunting knife.

up520 likes this.
  7. pgpn123

pgpn123

A boot jack. No struggling to get em off.

up520 and Wild Thing like this.
  8. gills

gills

Hunter safety system especially the loop on the back for dragging deer.

up520 likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

It is one of those things we laughed about for years until my sister bought my son ine for xmas as a gag gift. Someone at the party mentioned their father really liked the one he had. We watched a youtube video and it turned out to be a pretty nice tool. Was really surprised how well it worked.

up520, U of M Fan and jiggin is livin like this.
  10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Hunted out of a few. My uncle tells a funny story about climbing an aspen tree with one. They had blades in the back that would dig into the bark. He got up about 12 feet and it shot to the ground stripping the bark in two perfect stripes all the way to the ground. He tells the story well.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I used a string tracker for years back when I hunted with an old darton 50mx. I used them when it was somewhat rainy. Shot a few deer with them with no issues. Then i got a hoyt bow with an overdraw and a much greater FPS rating. It caused issues...even had it create knots in the line.

With Slower shooting bows Inthought they worked great. I never shot more than 20 yds at that time and I practiced with it each year . Did nothing to my tragectory.

12. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

My Outdoor Edge Field Lite FL-10 knife. Chrome Moly 8A steel will gut & skin 5-6 deer before even thinking of needing a touch-up. And the Zytel scales make this folder uber light. It's the last knife I'll ever need.

up520 likes this.
  13. Plumman

Plumman

Ozone generators. Dont use the in stand type. But love my little battery operated tote ones to keep my gear (harnesses, bino case, safety ropes and such scent free.

up520, LabtechLewis and don like this.
  14. Scott Webster Wood

Scott Webster Wood

UV flashlights in general. Blood droplets show up far better in the dark and deer don't see it as well if you're using it while finding your spot to sit. But I found one other thing that makes them invaluable.

If you take your flashlight with you to walmart and go down through the women's cosmetics, try shining the flashlight at the various clear-coat nail polish bottles. Some of them 'glow' when under black light.
    The best one I've found for this is a bit expensive and is called "Perfect formula" (brand) "Pink Gel Coat" (product name). You can find it online for about $20 for a little bottle. But it tends to be worth the price as it glows far better than any I've found.
    If you can get by with a little less luminescence, some of the 'Sally Hansen' pink clearcoats are almost as bright.

So here's why it works so great. The area where I hunt, people use a combination of 'brighteye' tack markers or the similar reflective tape, and/or the colored ribbons. Colored (orange or pink) ribbons are still the best way to show other hunters you are hunting nearby, but if you hunt somewhere where 'squatters' love to 'borrow' other people's stands, not broadcasting the trail to your blind may be preferred.
    Clear coats like the ones mentioned above will not show when painted onto a tree or rock. If seen at all, they look like condensation or other moisture on the surface... until you shine the UV light on them in the wee hours of the morning. Then they light up like bright purple!
    You can mark a trail that will be completely undetectable in the daytime. Completely invisible to visible-light-flashlights at night, but that glow like highway beacons in the dark when hit with a UV flashlight.

On a side note, it's also fun with greenhorns and noobs in deercamp. You can mark the trail to the stand you're loaning them with helpful 'encouragements' along the way. "This way noob!", "Don't get lost!", "No we aren't there yet!", "Don't pee near the blind", etc!

up520, MichiFishy, Horseshoe and 4 others like this.
  15. Scott Webster Wood

Scott Webster Wood

I have a set of rattling antlers I once cut off a buck that had 300 yards of bright orange tracking string stretched out behind it like a giant neon sign saying "THE DEER IS THIS WAY!" Unfortunately, by the time I found it, the bugs were gorging themselves in the thousands to the point we had to put vicks vap-o-rub under our noses just for the 5 minutes it took to cut off the antlers to deal with the rank odors.

Uber-Schneider likes this.