Favorite colors for Saginaw river trolling

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by mbirdsley, Sep 15, 2020.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I’m going to order some salty dog rail clamp rod holders for my sea nymp this week. I’m going to hopefully try trolling for walleye a lot in the Saginaw river this fall. Maybe go out to the bay also, have to see what shift I’m on and how much I’m working for the bay. Saginaw River is 30 minutes away so that’s doable after work. Anyhow, what are your favorite colors of rapala’s, bandits, flicker Shad/minnow etc etc for fall trolling

I was just going to keep things simple and long line my 3 poles. Maybe by some snap weights if I have to go deeper than 15 feet. I do have 2 little walleye boards to get my lines away from the boat. That’s about as fancy as I plan getting right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3BMF’s likes this.
  2. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Not alot of trolling going on in the river in the fall. You will see most people vertical jigging with jig heads and minnows/plastic.
    With that being said you can get just about unlimited info with the search bar.
    As for the bay, blacks, pinks, purples, whites, silvers are pretty good. I like deep diving husky jerks for fall/spring but just depends on the person

Ralph Smith and 3BMF’s like this.

3. 3BMF’s

3BMF’s

I think what you have in mind would put some fish in the boat but I also think you will have trouble trolling in the river come fall. The boat traffic is pretty heavy even on weekdays. I think this river season is going to be combat fishing at its finest and i can’t wait:D. Just bring gear for both and you’ll be all set

4. eyepod

eyepod

Firetiger, White, and Clown are always good crank bait producers in the river. ;)

5. Big Skip

Big Skip

Wouldn't be hard mid river if he is just long lining straight back. Mid river between bay city and sag would be a good bet. Most the jiggers tend to favor one side if the channel most days.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Ralph Smith and 3BMF’s like this.
  6. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I probably have the boat put up before it’s time to jig. I want to do some work to it mid November.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Gone_Hunting and 3BMF’s like this.
  7. No Mas

No Mas

Don't really have issues trolling the river and have done so far many years now. Fall is easier than spring, I will say that!

eyepod, Ralph Smith and Josh R like this.
  8. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

If you're fishing bu yourself, put all 3 rods off one side(I'd suggest port). Best area I liked was trolling Eastside of channel from mouth up to Hooters! We always got some eye running the DDHJ12s. Run the edge of channel with boat at bottom of drop and inside board the deepest with other boards shallowing up as the drop goes up. Even with 2 people I've ran 6 ofone side to cover the shelf up top also. Your biggest adversary will be the channel bouys..:lol: Be sure to swing out into channel to go around them. Better to keep lines too deep than 2 shallow. If you decide you want to troll the other side, go in opposite direction and your depths and boards will already set when you turn around. ;) Are those rodholders you talk about the metal "downeast"?

12riverfish and Josh R like this.
  9. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I’ve done it a couple times in my tin can around deer season and I’ve had the river to myself in Saginaw.

No Mas likes this.
  10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Thanks for the info. Yes they are the metal ones that release when you pull up on the rod. I think farther back I’m going to put a 6 inch track and mount a ratcheting rod holder. Right behind where my seat would be on the starboard and port side cockpit. I want the rod holders to be heavy enough if the opportunity ever arises for spring/fall near shore salmon. Last three years work has gotten in the way but, I can hope

11. Ralph Smith

I might have a couple of those downeast if you want them. The ratcheting holders work great. :) I've got a few, but need to find some used track. That stuff ain't cheap.

12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Do they attach to rail about 1 inch around? I get paid tommrow

13. Ralph Smith

dirtyfisheyes187 likes this.
  14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Ralph Smith likes this.