Favorite Bluegill Patterns

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Ray Adams, May 6, 2018.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2

I like rubber spiders and when I tie them color does seem to matter on some lakes but I found using different color legs work just as well as bodies of different colors. I also use small poppers and I am going to tie some this year. I have made the bodies and added the hooks just have to paint them and then finish them

ongo likes this.
  2. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Early season bluegills I use nothing but subsurface patterns - #8 GR Hares Ear, (both nymph and wet fly) # 8 or 10 Prince Nymph, and # 8 March Brown wet fly.

I don't switch to poppers, spiders, and other surface stuff until later in the summer.

It's a lot of fun watching and hearing them take floating imitations, but I've always caught bigger 'gills subsurface.

brushbuster and ongo like this.

3. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I like that simple design, few parts and I bet it takes the gills!

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Regardless of body color 95% of my spiders are tied with Red Thread.

Scout 2 and ongo like this.
  5. ongo

ongo

As do I, also I use primarily red thread on my mayfly patterns as well. I prefer a red criss-cross pattern on the abdomen with a red whip-finish head. For me it seems to work well. If nothing else it looks good to my eye.
    But, back to Bluegills, I too use mostly sub-surface as does Gamechanger for early season gills.

Gamechanger and flyrodder46 like this.
  6. Scout 2

Scout 2

I use subsurface when they are on the beds and won't hit topwater. I usually use a mayfly

Gamechanger likes this.
  7. strmanglr

strmanglr

I've never tied specifically to gills. Seems they hit everything I put on. I've never really went after them. Practice my casting and hook setting with them, but that's all.

I bought some foam just for it a long time ago but never made any. You guys have inspired me.

I have found, unlike trout fishing, a v slight movement intermittently, triggers bites.

8. ongo

ongo

Sounds like an experienced Gill Gitter!

I have found, unlike trout fishing, a v slight movement intermittently, triggers bites.[/QUOTE]

strmanglr likes this.
  9. Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan

I really like a Popper-Dropper or Hopper-Dropper. I've tied some foam Gurgle-Pops and GFA Hoppers on size 14 TMC 200R hooks, and use those for my top fly. All sorts of flies will work for the dropper. Drowned Ant soft hackles, Drowned Mosquito soft hackles, Purple and Starling Soft hackles, GRHE's, PT nymphs or something derived from a PT, Guide's Choice Hare's Ears, grey scuds in 14 or 16, etc.