Father and Son Opening Day with a 450 Bushmaster

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Smith&Brownie, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

It's not often I get to hunt with my Dad. Very seldom do our schedules align where we can sit in a tent with a gun across our lap. On this hunt a good friend of mine made sure he takes advantage of these great moments in the deer woods. The first two days of Michigan firearm season last year these guys drug their .450's to the woods and started recording.

What's some of your favorite hunts with someone in the blind with you?

2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Great sequences there! Nice deer! Congrats!
    "What's some of your favorite hunts with someone in the blind with you"?
    That's an easy one for me. Four come to mind.
    Shared a tree-stand with my oldest son when he was 14 for the first Michigan youth hunt. He took his first deer that year with my Remington .308.!
    One week later, my second son, 10 years old at the time, shared the same tree stands with me for the bow opener and watched me arrow and helped track a nice 6 point.
    In 2004 my second son was 14, and it was his turn for the youth hunt. He took his first deer with my Remington .308 as well!
    In 2005 it was my daughter's turn. She was 12 at the time and couldn't make it for the youth hunt. I set her up 35 yards from me, and she took her first deer with a bow during the opener.
    All of these deer came from the same tree on my property. I had all of their first deer (sons' 2 bucks, daughter's doe) mounted and they sit front and center over the fireplace on my living room wall!
    <----<<<

CABELKINS2000, Sparky23, aph and 5 others like this.

3. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

Those are awesome stories. To be able to see it all unfold from the same spot is incredible!

Joe Archer likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee

3F72A443-D4D8-42FE-A23E-0F3F2E73D973.jpeg My son hunted with me 34 years ago but we didn’t sit in the same blind. He was along on the swamp hunt where I shot my biggest buck to that point. He helped me get my boots off that night after my celebration!

Now it’s my grandson who’s shooting my old Rem 788 in .308. He’s a very meticulous, careful and good shot. He is a linebacker and a good one and also starts as a point guard later in the year, but described shooting his deer as his biggest thrill of the year. We do sit together for another season yet.

5. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

That's awesome to have the grandkid using your old rifle.

6. Stubee

Stubee

It is. I bought it in 1972 for $69.95 with a 4X Japanese scope from a small home shop gun dealer N of Lansing, MI. I was gonna get a .243 and the dealer said “you ever gonna hunt bear or moose or anything besides deer?” and while I couldn’t imagine it I also couldn’t rule it out so got the recommendation.308. Hunted with open sights when I moved to NM in 1973 because I hadn’t sighed the scope in, finally started rifle hunting with much trepidation back here in 1975 (I’d only bowhunted since 1963) and got my first buck/first shot at one in 1978. I used that rifle mostly in a very thick swamp, and refinished the stock and cold blued the barrel underside after years of beating it up, strapped to my frame pack wading into the swamp + full face plant in the muck with it on my shoulder dragging out a Nov 30 big 8 point when my rope broke. That was 1992 and I bought a stainless/synthetic Remmy to lessen the damage that winter.

My grandson knows all those stories and now the trigger is smoother and it wears a Nikon 3X9. He does it proud.