Fathead vs emerald shiner

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by west200, Oct 15, 2020.

1. west200

west200

Would it make a vast difference in catch rate to use fatheads? Bait store by my house doesn't have emeralds and have heard the local shops to BB run out.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I always used whatever I got and always caught decent numbers of perch. Other guys won't fish without emeralds. I'd prefer emeralds but they don't stop me from catching. Not sure what local supplies are right now.

J Sibert and milanmark like this.

3. the roofer

the roofer

Fatheads been working the same as emeralds..and they stay alive forever..I once had 1 in my boot for a week and it was still alive..

4. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Fat head work great Lake of the Woods walleye and Saugur love them especially the bigger ones. Like fishing the hard water with rosy reds which are a fat head.

5. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Most have been in one of your work boots. Lol.

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. 50incher

50incher

I've fished with both and been skunked with both, been out with FH's many times and have never done great, always a emmmm catch....same for shiners....so ?....the times we slayed Perch we had shiners and no FH's but they would clobber anything, so FH's probably would of been great ?!....

Getting dizzy....having the choice I would always use emeralds, always....deciding to not fish using FH's would be a no....I'd fish with them if it's all I can get....sometimes I think it's all in the "stars" lol....cheers....

joeand, Lake Boy and milanmark like this.
  7. terrylee86

terrylee86

Pretty sure Jeff's, Domka, and Erie Party store have emeralds. They did yesterday anyway. Getting emeralds is harder in the early perch season because the water is too warm. Should be fine now. Fatheads are tough, they don't seem to die in the minnow bucket. I have caught a ton of perch on belly skin from a white perch, sometimes it out fishes minnows, but not usually. It is all about the mood of the perch.

Bottomfeeder likes this.
  8. the roofer

the roofer

They rape you on the price though and the minnows..Tony that docks next to us has caught his limit of 50 the last 10 times he bought from Brest bay marina..and all they sell are fat headed minnows

sureshot006 and terrylee86 like this.
  9. Michelin Man

Michelin Man

If you cannot catch perch on flat heads you just can’t catch perch... lol

10. west200

west200

Thanks for the help fellas. I agree that fatheads are tough. When knutsons finally opened after the lockdown I bought plenty and they kept for a week and a half of crappie fishing everyday!

11. KI Jim

KI Jim

Emeralds work better...by far. However, fatheads work ok. Sometimes, perch will hit anything, but emeralds are best. BTW....white perch minnows are really good too.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

kdx1980 and real duckhead like this.
  12. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Emeralds hands down.