Fat Lady, On Stage, Tuning Up....

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by waxico, Dec 6, 2019.

1. waxico

waxico

Yes the end is in sight. The hard freeze took a toll on our birds, which was a big disappointment for Thanksgiving.
    So, who's going out this weekend? Wish I had a duck field. I'm taking a couple guys out layout from a charity hunt tomorrow. Told them I'd make good next year if its a bust. Going scouting in an a hour to try to find some.
    Anyone else? I'd suggest some off the wall obscure spot. The birds that are left are educated and know where to hide. Jumpshooting would be a great tactic.
    Good luck. This will be me next weekend... IMG_0759.PNG

albion58, wavie, Outdoor Gal and 2 others like this.
  2. lefty421

lefty421

Same here. We had not gotten skunked all season, up until our two hunts over thanksgiving. The bottom dropped out when things froze.

Being that this is the last weekend, we're going to give it a go regardless. Planning on AM hunts on both Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully we don't end with a couple more skunks. Things were going great up until the freeze. Sure was a weird year. Maybe the late split will make up for it. haha.

3. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Saturday is out. Family function.

Right now there's a 50% chance I'm sleeping in, 50% chance I drive to a managed area Sunday. I have my 3 punches to mail the WW card in.

Mid zone split is likely toast. Wife has called dibs on that weekend. She wants to go to Great Lakes Crossing. If I can convince her to go to TC instead I can get one last hunt here local.

South zone split confirmed burnt toast. Heading out of the state scheduled to start driving Friday before. But...am working an angle to maybe get Saturday in. Unlikely. But a chance is a chance.

Thus...I think Sunday is my best bet. Nothing on the schedule. Give it one last shot, then it's time to clean it all and put away until next year.

ole79 and LumberJ like this.
  4. waxico

waxico

Glad you joined this year I like your posts, and your spirit.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  5. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

My other half is guiding a pheasant hunt tomorrow and I don't have anyone to watch the kiddos. It's for the best, one of the boys has a cold and I think he shared it with me. Sunday we're hunting... for a Christmas tree. Lol.

I may try to get to Muskegon or Fennville yet for geese. Try something new.

Bertslash likes this.
  6. population control

population control

Tell her to sit back down. I have 4 mores days before she can start belting out her tune.

I’ll be putting in a few hours tomorrow and likely a full day Sunday. Cause I don’t expect a 4 man limit. But we will give it a go.

My last hunt we averaged 1 bird every two hours. 9 hour hunt. It’s tough sledding with the current conditions.

ajkulish likes this.
  7. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

We scouted some public SW side stuff yesterday and found the biggest motherload of divers I have personally ever seen on am inland over here. Went to bang them up today....crickets lol. Maybe bumped them setting the layout who know. 4 buffies was it and I was tending for that. Saw maybe 75 birds probably alot were the same. Watched close to 1000 for 45 minutes yesterday. Must have been a stop on there way somewhere else. May have been the end of by FAR the worst duck season in my 24 years I've been duck hunting. Still enjoyed it. Humbling year of being on the x and seeing notta lol

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  8. Shupac

Shupac

I'll be out Sunday, probably. I waver between all day, just the morning, or just the afternoon. Or just saying screw it until the split.

9. Divers Down

Divers Down

Erie is a barren wasteland.
    Not even fit for mergies.

10. Handliner84

Handliner84

I second erie is a waste land. Was out today and never pulled the trigger

Divers Down likes this.
  11. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Found a nice pocket of birds for tomorrow - Hope it come together

12. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

I third on Erie. A duck desert.

blklab, R.J.M. and Divers Down like this.
  13. Divers Down

Divers Down

Was debating on hunting lk Huron for Pintail buffies (squaw) tomorrow but don’t feel good about heading way off shore with temps in the 20s.

14. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

Smart move my friend zeroed on them today up there. Said the birds are rig shy. Not surprised, they’ve been chased by now, and they’re not going anywhere.

Divers Down likes this.
  15. dinoday

dinoday

Most of the birds moved out of my inland spots but I scouted tonight and found some birds hanging out in one of my spots, so I'll be there in the morning.
    It could be quick and great or terrible..depends if it freezes tonight or not.
    Sunday is out for me so this is it.