Farm fields planting ID ?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by erieorbust, Sep 10, 2020.

1. erieorbust

erieorbust

Hi, I posted in early summer about a farm field that was wheat or winter rye. They finally plowed it under a month ago and planted something. The grass looking stuff is winter rye I believe but the brassica looking stuff has me stumped. Any ideas on the combo in the picture. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. IceHog

IceHog Premium Member

Looks like forage radish

3. erieorbust

erieorbust

Looked up farming and radish and it seems like a promising and up and coming practice. Initial thought is this is a good thing as it should provide some good green food source in November and December. Anyone else benefit from this practice?

cakebaker likes this.
  4. Waif

Waif

Someone must.
    The bin for radish was about empty a while back when I browsed seed types...

5. IceHog

IceHog Premium Member

It's a very common cover crop that farmers are using these days.

erieorbust and Jdhunttrapfish like this.
  6. smith34

smith34

If following a wheat crop, planting oats and daikon radishes has been a common practice for years for the benefit of soil health. PS deer like it too.

erieorbust likes this.
  7. adoROMO

adoROMO

Another vote for radish

8. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Seen a 40 acre field covered in radishes today about 8 inches tall already. Weird to see around here for sure

9. erieorbust

erieorbust

Update. 2 weeks later and the field is beautiful green with rye looking stuff and I believe a type of radish as mentioned above. I tried pulling up one of the larger radish and it was as thick as my pinky at the base with pickers 20200925_172218.jpg 20200925_172213.jpg and wouldn't budge. Guessing it was 6 plus inches deep. Hoping deer migrate to it at night when the beans on the neighbors side of the woods are plucked.

10. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Isn't that what the farm on the SE corner of old 131 and the road to Coral plants some years for a cover crop after they harvest the fields.

11. Waif

Waif

I really haven't peeked close. Always looked kinda grassy to me , like wheat or rye but I could certainly miss a change. Big danged field though regardless.
    They did a lot of work on the S.W. corner of it on the drain there. (Pretty sure it's the same field ending there.)
    Was always a good area before for a doe to have fawn(s) where they dug it up.
    Used to see them steady still during fall over the years on my way out to hunt...
    Of course all they had to do there was step out of the cover and start browsing....

12. Bmac

Bmac

Probably what is being referred to as a "tillage" radish, likely daikon. They are planted for a cover crop and also help to break up any soil compaction. We drill them in after wheat.

A neighboring farmer had them ariel sowed with rye into standing corn last week. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

13. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Waif It is not that way this year. I have noticed it a couple of times in years past. Who ever owns that property knows how to farm!

Waif likes this.
  14. Waif

Waif

Now you're going to get me in trouble parked on the shoulder studying the field with binoculars. L.o.l..

15. Chessieman

Chessieman

Deep road system and produces a natural weed killer.