Fall Walleye Jigging Question

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Stephen, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Stephen

Stephen

Guys,
    Never made it out to try jigging for the first time this spring but it looks like I'm finally heading out next weekend for the inaugural drift. I've seen several videos about fall fishing in the Port Huron area but nothing around Harsens / Algonac. I'm up for the drive to PH if necessary but was hoping to fish a bit closer to home. Are there opportunities for fall jigging in those areas? Also is there a preferred depth to start searching for them this time of year?

I'll post results good or bad next weekend. Thanks!

2. 6667supersport

6667supersport

There should be walleye in all parts of the river. If you fish in the morning start shallow and work your way out deeper, if you start in evening start deeper and work your way shallower till you find active fish. Lots of thick 18-21" fish around

j cal, billfer, scubajay and 4 others like this.

3. Stephen

Stephen

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to trying it out finally.

4. billfer

billfer

I got 3 the other morning out of marine city in about 25 fow early in the morning. Trolling motor was only working intermittently so vericality was a challenge and I got frustrated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. Stephen

Stephen

Thanks billfer. Heading out of Marine City or Algonac I think. I'll drop a report.

6. billfer

billfer

The marine city docks were wonky on Sunday. Not sure if they got fixed. The upstream one was pulled too high up and the downstream one looked like it was run into and pushed a ways down and crooked. Not sure if they were fixed. It was launch able but not ideal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6667supersport, Ta5teless and Stephen like this.
  7. billfer

billfer

Took a skunk out of mairne city this morning. Tried from the church down to AJ's. Tried different colors, depths, tipped with a minnow, not tipped with a minnow. Slow day for me.

Jeffish74 likes this.
  8. 440turner

440turner

Same drift as me Saturday 4 till 630, managed one fat 20" walleye off crawler harness......first time id ever fished Marine City, parking lot was bare and had no clue where the common drift was. Ill be going back, was nice to change the scenery and fishing a different stretch of the river

billfer and 3BMF’s like this.
  9. piketroller

piketroller

You fell victim to the shallow water trap that is that stretch of the river. A little further downriver out near the Canada line you could have found some deeper water to try. When the shallow bite is strong, that’s a great area and you have the near shore and Fawn Island shoals and drop offs to fish. But when the active fish are deeper, you don’t have that option.

fisheater and billfer like this.
  10. fishdude

fishdude

Jigged up one 18” eye in the north channel Saturday morning on June bug fin-s. Didn’t get any other hits so we switched to perchin

11. sledman

sledman

Fished yesterday like others got skunked on the eyes jigging the MC area. Talked to others in that area fishing and no one had caught anything. So went out to the lake in the middle channel and trolled flicker shads
    and marked and caught some real nice SM
    a few measured 19”.. They were in pretty shallow water 7 to 8’ along the main channel. Saved what was otherwise a pretty lousy day on the water. As a side note they removed the buoys in the lake marking the channel.

Hollada, billfer and Joe Archer like this.
  12. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I wonder where they are during the day ? They are certainly there after dark.

13. RiverBelle

RiverBelle

We did good whipping one night last week, then 3 trips with only 1 fish to show. Water is super gin clear. Barometer is finally lower today, maybe that help.

14. piketroller

piketroller

I didn’t know you were casting that far south.

15. 6667supersport

6667supersport

A change of scenery is good every now and again, plus its closer to home.

sledman, hhlhoward and billfer like this.