Fake vs real crawlers

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by pjd, May 30, 2020.

1. pjd

pjd

Anybody pull fake crawlers? Got a friend who is allergic to night crawlers so uses fake. He catches a couple walleye but never really gets a bunch. He doesn’t even allow worms on his boat.

2. billfer

billfer

I've never heard of an allergy to night crawlers. I think piketroller will try them on occasion. Has he thought about using leeches?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

sureshot006, Tryin2 and pjd like this.

3. wingster51

wingster51

We use them all the time. I dont know how they compare to the real thing but we get our share.We had great results with Gulp crawlers last time out

4. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I used to run a charter for walleye and bass. Most just wanted to drag crawlers, kick back and relax. One of my charters, brought plastic worms, black with a purple tail. It was a slow day, and we only had a couple walleye in the box. He decided to throw one of the plastic worms, and bam! One in the boat. He proceeded to outfish the live bait 5 to 1. So, in instances, artificial crawlers can outfish real.

jeffm, fishinthed, ESOX and 7 others like this.
  5. Tryin2

Tryin2

Leeches was my first thought also

6. pjd

pjd

Not yet but I will suggest

7. hookslammer

hookslammer

Use the gulp crawlers all the time in pumpkin seed or natural color later in the summer when the perch start tearing up the real one's with good success.

fishinthed and pjd like this.
  8. piketroller

piketroller

Gulp crawlers for work, but hooking percent is lower because they are daily hard and don’t compress to open up a gap for the hook point. When the fish are slamming harnesses and you’re getting them on the front hook, it’s not much of a problem. But when they just grab the tail it can matter a lot. You’d probably be better tying a small treble as the rear hook if you know you are going to use gulp or any other plastic worm.

fishinthed, Papa Liver and pjd like this.
  9. Spur

Spur

I've had days when I out-fished my dad in the boat using Gulp crawlers and other times they wouldn't touch it. I keep in my box though as a back-up if I run out of worms or get into too many worm-steelin junk fish.

Gater DONE and pjd like this.
  10. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

I have personally change to 90% artificial baits this year.
    Notice I am getting bigger fish of all types, and out catching the guys using worms from the banks on the rivers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

All I use is Gulp

I do cheat and add a 1/4 of real meat on the front hook.

12. Matt V

Matt V

I tried them on Erie a couple of times, figured they would hold up better than live crawlers when the white bass were in. I personally didn't have very good luck with them trolling harnesses. We were using the gulp brand in a natural looking color. Once the couple of packs that I had were gone, I never tried them again.

My wife doesn't like touching leeches, so she bought a bag of Gulp leeches, they didn't work as well as the real thing.

We also tried the Gulp maggots for bluegill, we did catch some fish on them, but wax worms really out fished them.

My experience, is that it is hard to beat live bait.....

13. piketroller

piketroller

Were the gulp crawlers you tried the ones that coming in the tub of liquid, or just a regular ziplock pack? The ones in the tub do work but that juice stinks.

14. Ducksledfish

Ducksledfish

Memorial weekend I ran out of crawlers but had some minnows. So minnow went onto some of the crawler harnesses and they out caught the sad little worm chunks left on the other harnesses.
    Scientific proof that walleyes like minnows, even if on a crawler harness!
    I am not sure, but I would guess that trolling a minnow would mean it does not matter if its alive or not.

Papa Liver, Tryin2, pjd and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

I normally run plastics and do just as well as others. if anything you can put a small piece of crawler on for scent. Never had an issue hooking them with plastics.

Tubes77, Papa Liver and pjd like this.