Ever had someone follow you to hunt your public spots?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Sasquatch Lives, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Yep.

2. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

This same dude found one of my natural ground blinds which you cannot see unless you are right on top of it and tore it up, put up his hub blind and used what was left of my blind to brush it in. I guarantee that dude didn't see anything out of that blind that week but don't ask me why:whistle:. Didn't hear a single shot from him haha.

3. dinoday

dinoday

I had a guy put his ladder stand on my bait pile once..all of a sudden I had the worst cramps and....

I bet he didn't see anything either ;)

Sasquatch Lives likes this.
  4. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Oh no!

dinoday likes this.
  5. Former grunt

Former grunt

Guy I know was sitting in a tree last year bow hunting, had a asian guy come in behind him and set up about 49 yards behind him. Guy witnessed the person I know shoot a doe, guy I know let the deer like overnight because he was gonna hunt the same tree the next morning and wasn't sure if the shot. Came back the next morning and the Asian guy had put his stand in that exact tree. Guy said f it I'll go find my deer, well he found it not far from where the Asian guy was sitting the night before and the backstraps were missing.

DM90 and Sasquatch Lives like this.
  6. bigbuckmiddaugh

bigbuckmiddaugh

7. Tryin2

Tryin2

Years ago went out to my stand about a mile back in a small bunch of oaks surrounded by thick brush and found that some jack wagon had used my sticks to put his stand right on top of mine literally his platform was resting on my seat .........I cut his stand off and tossed it into the brush few days later he came out while i was sitting n was pissed said he seen me 2 years prior pulling a buck out n checked out the spot then claimed he thought i abandoned the stand cuz it had been in the tree for 3 years n not removed ........in fact I pulled the stand every year but it was a great spot till he showed up ......he moved his stand into the bedding area and messed everything right up...i moved on

8. fishx65

fishx65

I love when state land hunters leave me orange ribbons and reflective tacks every 4ft so I don't get lost getting to and from their stands.:):)

9. JohnnyB87

JohnnyB87

I saw in an interview with Eberhart, that this was one of the reasons he chooses to roll around in a mini van. I think he might even put goofy stickers on it too. Good idea, maybe people are less likely to try and investigate your spots

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I saw a guy a couple years ago out in the trails hunting with a minivan. I laughed at the time, because the trail we met on was nothing less than 4x4 friendly. But now I wonder.

We have a minivan, my wife loves them, but with a Jeep and a truck idk why I’d ever take it. Although they are pretty handy rigs, just not out there. Lol

DM90 and JohnnyB87 like this.
  11. Slick Trick40

Slick Trick40

I had a good swamp spot on public land. Killed two nice 8 points and messed up on a 3rd there 3 years in a row. I never saw anyone or boot tracks. Now there’s people back there and boot tracks all thru it. That spot is toatally burnt .Makes me wonder if one of my friends ran there mouths. Best not to tell anyone. A friend probably wouldn’t steal a spot but they tell someone then that person tells someone then that person tells someone then the spot is no longer overlooked

12. DM90

DM90

That could be the case, but it could also be all of the Youtube channels teaching everyone how to hunt mobile and to hunt swamps. That combined with the ease of satellite imagery scouting and mobile mapping systems has pretty much eliminated and secret spots anymore. Every piece of good marsh/swamp cover on the public spots I hunt has stands on it when those used to be the spots no one wanted to go into....oh well, time to adjust.

jonnyb likes this.
  13. DM90

DM90

Don't forget the walking paths they make that are cleared so wide that you could drive a Buick right to the stand...I've never understood marking the trails with all that crap. I think the people that do it probably do not know that the law states that anyone can use a legally labeled stand. They probably think that if someone else sees the flagging tape it doesn't matter because their stand is there and no one else can use it lol....either way it just junks up the woods.

14. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

Agree 100%. I started hunting a lot more public land about 5 years ago, to give me more options, as I didn't have much for private land access. At that time when I would hunt the swamps you would occasionally find a stand or see evidence of a hunter, but it was pretty rare. Almost always it was up in the high ground, and once I dove into the swamp, I had it pretty much to myself.

In the last 2 seasons I feel that it has completely changed. We all know private land access gets worse every year for a lot of guys, and THP and The Hunting Beast have really encouraged others to try the public land gig. It's great, I don't begrudge anyone and am glad to see people out trying something new. But it has definitely made it tougher, and a little frustrating, because the spots that were really productive a few years ago have a lot more pressure now. Like you said, I don't think there is any marsh or swamp spot that doesn't have people diving into the middle of it. In the lower peninsula anyway.

DM90 likes this.
  15. DM90

DM90

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I've only ever had private access once in my life and that was only 5 acres lol. The public I spent years figuring out has really taken a hit due to the close proximity to major cities (within an hours drive from pretty much every direction). Like you said, I'm glad others are getting out there and trying new things but it does suck to have them invade so many of the productive spots....maybe since everyone is into doing it the hard way now and diving deep into the cover, guys like you and I can start hunting the high ground and watch the other guys bump them out of the marshes right to us lol