Evening success, with some HOOKS!

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by BWHUNTR, May 9, 2018.

1. BWHUNTR

BWHUNTR

Been just pounding the back dusty roads for the first two days of hunting. Seems every new place we try there are just no birds on the properties yet, unlike previous years where there's always an abundant of birds. Been a real odd start to the season.
    What was suppose to be an early evening, unexpected dinner at my sons house, and a little fishing for my son, turned to be a Turkey hunt. Had full intensions of hitting the roads looking for where the birds were on various properties, trying to establish plans for a following morning hunt. Well, needless to say, that never happened.
    While both my sons were fishing, I had walked up to the truck momentarily. I was then immediately hustled (yelled at) by my son to get my gear on cause a long beard just rang out in the woods behind his pond.
    I had everything in the truck but my clothing, it was back at the house. He found me a pair of camo pants (they were a bit snug around the waist and I informed him I may pop the button LOL), a long sleeve camo shirt and even instructed me to put the muck boots he had set out for me, all in a matter of seconds! Hell, he was dressed and ready for the sprint to the woods before me.
    We got to an old deer blind, he stroke the call and nothing. We then got to the fields edge and another call produced a distant gobble, maybe 100 yards deep. We cautiously moved another 30 yards and hunkered down behind a dead fall. This bird was coming, and coming quick. After laying eyes on him he walked right past us at 70 or so yards, he was heading due South to the freshly planted food plot my son just put in. He stayed in the woods, never hitting the field and Brendon called back and forth, mixing it up real nice making it sound like there were two different hens, using two different glass calls. That bird must of sat out there for 15 minutes, gobbling well over 40 times. I told Brendon to keep calling and get aggressive, being so early in the evening, he'd come sooner or later to gather these hens before bedtime. The plan worked beautifully, we new he was coming as the gobbles became closer and louder. He soon walked into view and we had eyes on him. He'd walk closer, heading on a diagonal right to us, stopping every few steps proudly displaying and spitten with every step. He closed the gap and walked right through a window of opportunity at 25 yards.
    I'll say without hesitation, LUCK was on our side on this hunt, and I'll take it! Great time afield with my son and a hunt to remember. Easton's up to bat come Sunday, no baseball!

May 8, 2018.JPG
    Spurs 2018.JPG

Right spur.JPG

Left spur.JPG

Both spurs taped 1 5/8 inch WOW!

2. BVW

BVW

Wow! Great bird !!

BWHUNTR likes this.

3. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

Great bird man! Hooks for sure!!

retired dundo and BWHUNTR like this.
  4. retired dundo

retired dundo

congrats fantastic spurs

BWHUNTR likes this.
  5. Hunter1979

Hunter1979 Staff Member Mods

That's a great bird!

Sent from my Droid

BWHUNTR likes this.
  6. Firefighter

Firefighter

STUD Pat!

You've got some great boys too. They take care of the man that raised them right!

BWHUNTR likes this.
  7. Gobblerman

Gobblerman

Outstanding Gobbler and a hunt to remember! Now that’s what it’s all about!

BWHUNTR likes this.
  8. old graybeard

old graybeard

Awesome bird!! Congrats

BWHUNTR likes this.
  9. gobblergetter

gobblergetter

10. ReeseHunter

ReeseHunter

Yeah buddy. Nothing better than father-son time and a great bird on the ground!!

BWHUNTR likes this.
  11. Namrock

Namrock

The best part of that story is him dressing you & the button comment:cwm27:. Gorgeous bird Pat! Incredible spur length & GREAT job (as always) on the calls Brendon! Good luck on Sunday Easton, knock 1 out of the park will ya!

BWHUNTR likes this.
  12. Hoytman5

Hoytman5

Awesome story (and bird) Pat! You guys don't mess around when it comes to turkey hunting. Good luck this weekend with Easton. He's a Rankin so it's in his blood....

BWHUNTR likes this.
  13. Chasin Tales

Chasin Tales

Great post- I have been out twice in the late season and no birds, no answers etc. Been going out in the mid morning which has usually been the ticket. Checking the fields throughout the day and no activity. Had me wondering if I needed to get out at dawn or late. Been interesting since the patterns seem to have shifted.

Appreciated your post since it seems to mirror what I have been seeing.

And great bird!

BWHUNTR likes this.
  14. michiganreaper

michiganreaper

Wow, thats a great bird. Nice hooks.

BWHUNTR likes this.
  15. zep02

zep02

Love those hooks, Congrats!

BWHUNTR likes this.