Euro nymphing

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by quack head, May 21, 2020.

1. quack head

quack head

Your thoughts, experiences, and flies to use here in MI.

2. bapotter

bapotter

I spent 2 months in Reno, NV last summer where I learned to Euro nymph on the Truckee River. It's a great technique to include in the arsenal once you get a feel for it. There is a lot of information out there so I won't repeat it here, but I like how Domenick Swentosky www.troutbitten.com approaches the concept...more a mono rig than pure Euro nymphing. The mono rig probably fits our Michigan waters better.

As for flies...pick your favorite patterns and tie them with a tungsten bead and jig hook. I mostly fish pheasant tail nymphs, hares ears, but also brassies. I think the effectiveness of the technique is more about the fact your bait is better positioned in the strike zone more than the fly patterns.

burntcabin likes this.

3. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Took up this technique last fall by listening to a handful of podcasts and YouTube videos, then parsing through George Daniels book Dynamic Nymping, and I bought the Echo Shadow X in 11' 3wt and rigged it up for tight lining.

I have to say I'm not totally sure I have been getting the exact drifts you're supposed to use, but I'm getting the hang of it. It can be very productive, but, in my opinion, unlike stripping streamers, if you aren't catching a lot of fish it gets boring to me very fast. If I'm not catching fish while streamer fishing, it still keeps me engaged and I don't get bored even after hours and hours of no fish, just the act of seeing my fly stripped and swung and anticipation of possibly moving a fish keeps it exiting to me. I don't find that same feeling euro nymphing.

As for flies, your basic pheasant tails and hare's ear nymphs will work great if tied with tungsten beads and kept slim/neat so they sink well. I also love the walt's worm patterns, as well as the perdigons and frenchies. I like to rig a heavier jig fly as my anchor, and a smaller fly above on a tag.

There are TONs of ways to rig for this, and there is no one single leader and fly setup that's great for all; rather, you sort of have to be constantly changing your leader and fly setup for each specific run you're fishing, if you want to really maximize your success.

If you're doing it correctly, you should be SEEING the majority of your strikes by movement of the sighter, rather than feeling them. I'm not quite there yet, almost all of my strikes so far have been felt, which means I'm probably missing a lot of fish. Another thing that will tell you you're not doing it as effectively as you should is if you're NOT losing a lot of flies. If you're euro nymphing correctly, you should be getting hung up from time to time, sort of like chuck n duck.

bapotter, burntcabin and OH-YEAH!!! like this.