Ethical hunting age?

Discussion in 'Michigan Youngsters in the Out-Of-Doors' started by pryorhunt, Sep 26, 2016.

1. pryorhunt

pryorhunt

Since the state has seen it fit to lower the legal hunting age, I am just wondering, what is too young? I thought I saw somewhere on here where a two year old shot their first deer. I must admit I didn't read the story but thought to myself, why? I pondered the issue and thought to myself, how does a two year old hold a weapon or take hunter safety or are they exempt because they can't comprehend the literature? Can they comprehend what they are about to do? Taking a life has always been somewhat of a ritual to me. Then I started thinking about all the Dad's out there who will just be shooting the deer and putting the kids tag on it, just so he can put another head on the wall or more venison in the freezer. Is it just another way to skirt the law. I do believe that 14 was a little old to start hunting but 2? I would think 10 would be a pretty good age to start a young hunter. They are capable of knowing the rules, taking the required tests, holding their own weapon and realizing they are about to end one of God's creature's life! I do think the law should be that up to sixteen one must hunt with a licensed adult. Any, other thoughts or feeling out there?

retired dundo likes this.
  2. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

Depends on the child and the parent. I have met adults in the woods that I think are not ready. My son started at 6 and is 11 now but is small in size. We use a field pod to rest his weapon on and works very well in making ethical shots. He has taken several deer and a wild boar. I see what your saying but again depends on the child and I know mine wasn't ready before 6. I have had him in the woods with me since he was 2 for nature walks to picnics to get him interested and have fun. spent a lot of time prepping him and target shooting before ever getting a live target in front of him. Its a tough one to say because all kids and parents are not created equal, but im happy the law changed because we have made some great memories already.
    Your always going to have poachers but I think most parents out there are going to teach their kids to do the rite thing.

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

It'.s a parent thing, not a kid thing

4. Waif

Waif

I think I should worry about when my child hunts rather than you worry about it.
    Some people hunt who should not at a variety of ages.
    Unless they are hunting with me under my supervision , other peoples kids are not in my control.Nor would I have them be when not with me anymore than their supervisors. I'd never get any hunting of my own done worrying about everyone else.

Trout King and Firefighter like this.
  5. pryorhunt

pryorhunt

I'm not worrying about anyone else, I merely asked the question to see what others thought and to give my two cents. Spitfire, I have one question for you, did your six year old son take hunter safety? I'm not talking about taking them into the woods to sit with you. That's not hunting. I'm referring to a child being able to pass all the tests and comprehend what it is that they are actually doing. I agree, I have crossed paths with a lot of adults that shouldn't be in the woods, do we really want their six year old in the woods? Waif, just because other people's kids aren't under your control, does that mean you shouldn't worry about what they are doing with a loaded gun, in the same woods you are hunting? Just food for thought!

6. Waif

Waif

You asked, I answered.
    Hunting ..is more than shooting , so young ones simply going along counts ,in my opinion.
    When you mention parents shooting deer during a youth hunt you are questioning ethics more than safety and your bias pokes out. We don't require proficency tests for adults shooting , so one is not expected for youth ,or a maturity test either.

I get your question regarding knowlage of rules ect..
    Shooting might be your greater concern ,safety wise. I've started youngsters shooting off cross sticks safely.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  7. pryorhunt

pryorhunt

I agree totally with what you are saying, yes young kids should be introduced to hunting at an early age. However, the state just lowered, again, the age at which they can buy a license and actually hunt! If you can't buy a license, you are "not" hunting, you are tagging along or observing. That is what my whole thread in about, not just taking them into the woods with you. I think you have misunderstood my initial post. That is why I asked Spitfire if his six year old took hunter safety. I'm all for adults taking their children with them at an early age to introduce them to hunting, nature and all that goes with it. Hopefully, by the time they "are" old enough to actually "hunt" they will be educated, ethical, and safe hunters. Again, what are your feelings on how old is old enough to "hunt"? That was my question.

8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Every kid is different along with their parents. Some are ready early and some will never be ready. Leave it up to the parent to decide not some number that someone who has no knowledge of the young hunters skills or mental acuity.

thebrewha, Trout King and jsbowman like this.
  9. pryorhunt

pryorhunt

How can you leave it up to the parents? The state is the one who sets the age at which one can take the hunter safety classes. And, since the state has deemed it necessary for "all" youth to take hunter safety, the child must be able to pass the test on their own. Allow me to put it in a different way since everyone wants to play the let the parents decide card! At what age should the "state" say that one is old enough to take the hunter safety class? Since, you "must" take the class in order to legally "hunt" in Michigan. I agree the parent should be the one to control if the youth is responsible enough to actually hunt. But, the state is the one to set the guidelines. What should they be, 10,8,6,4,2 ?

10. jatc

jatc

How is it any different than setting a minimum age for driving? Some are ready at 15 and some, I'd argue anyway, should never be allowed to drive.

Anytime a "minimum" age rule is put into law it is a completely arbitrary number, oftentimes with zero scientific evidence that supports the age.

We as Americans have decided that "adulthood" starts at age 18. Why? Science says that the human brain is not fully developed until age 25 for most humans. Shouldn't the age someone is considered an "adult" be 25 then?

Personally I'd prefer an actual "skills" test to have to be performed before anyone is allowed to purchase a hunting license.... Not the cheesy "load the weapon and fire it once" that is done in Hunter's Safety, but a true "Here's the gun (at least .243 caliber), here are the cartridges. Now load it and put 6 out of 10 in a 6" circle at 100 yards". Can't load the weapon, and use it safely without Dad doing it for you? FAIL.

After that there should be an interactive video hunting scenario (like a SHOT system) that has to passed with 100% proficiency that would include some dangerous safety situations like hunters behind the intended target, and if a shot is taken in that scene than the student fails. Oh yeah, nobody is allowed to "help" the tester.

Problem with this is too many would fail and give up.

retired dundo and justincasei812 like this.
  11. pryorhunt

pryorhunt

WOW, Can't anyone answer a question without throwing in there that some people are never ready to hunt and what the state should or shouldn't do? My question is, and always has been, what age do you feel the state should set in terms of someone being able to get a license? Period! I really don't care about anything else since the current law states one must complete hunter safety. Until they change the requirements we must go by what is in place. Again, what age is too young to be able to take hunter safety, pass it, and then purchase a license?

12. jatc

jatc

You are getting the answers you are because anybody with common sense that has ever spent time around large numbers of kids in teaching, scouting, or coaching environments where the disparity in maturity levels of kids the same age group becomes glaringly apparent, will not just "pick an age" because it would just be a meaningless bs number.

Waif and Trout King like this.
  13. swampbuck

swampbuck

I thought 12 was good, I wouldn't go below 10

14. jsbowman

jsbowman

The age requirement for hunter safety class is 10 years old. Any child younger than that who is out hunting must be with a licensed adult hunter, and has to be within an arms reach while doing so. They did not lower the minimum age for hunting, they completely removed it. That way a parent can decide when their child is ready, since they know the child best. This is how it should be. I started my oldest daughter out squirrel hunting last year at age 7. Her 3 year old sister tagged along with us. This year she has asked to go deer hunting as well. We practice shooting, and I feel she is ready, so she will be going. She has not compleated a hunter's safety class yet. She doesn't need it yet since I will be sitting right next to her the entire time, and she hasn't reached the minimum age requirement yet.

Hunters Edge and Waif like this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

A kid 10-16 can hunt as an apprentice or under a mentor. Need a link to where it says hunter safety is not required?