close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Etec Motors?

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Little Chief, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Little Chief

Little Chief

I am looking at a boat with an Etec Motor however I have never owned on and know nothing about them, just looking for a few reviews or comments, thanks Dale

2. brigeton

brigeton

I am on the fence with this one. I bought my boat used with a 90 e-tec, a 2004. It ran good under normal use but if I trolled for a couple hours at a time it would foul plugs. I had it to 3 different mechanics and finally got it running good. The last mechanic changed the thermostat but at the same time I started running regular gas instead of premium so I'm not sure which made it run better. Last year the lower unit went out. They were saying $2500 to fix/replace the lower unit so I traded it for a 115 Merc 4 stroke.

3. tailgunner

tailgunner

I had a 200ho etec on the boat I sold last year . Overall , a very good engine . Note that you go three years with no maintance then a complete , expensive maintence is done . Get the serial number on the engine , and go to a certified etec dealer . they can run a report detailing what was done on the engine . There have been occasional problems with injectors and some other things . What year is the motor?
    You can also go to the etec owners forum for lots of information. Bob

4. fels340

fels340

I have 2 boats. One has a 200 Merc 4 stroke. The other has a 225 etec. I like everything about the etec better except one thing. The etec is quieter, runs smoother, accelerates better, etc. The only drawback is adding the injection oil. I need to refill the injection oil tank every 2-2.5 tanks of gas. A gallon of that stuff is almost $50. I cringe every time I have to fill that thing. I will say that I only use ethanol free gas in my motors. I think that makes a difference as far as performance and maintenance.

5. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have had a 115 Etec for 4 years. No problems. Mine is real easy on both gas and oil. It's quiet, good acceleration, smooth throughout the entire range. I REALLY like the self-winterizing feature. A few minutes, it's done.

6. GuppyII

GuppyII

I had a 40 with a jet pump, ran the snot out of it. Only had one issue and that was my fault. Had it reprogrammed to run XD100 and I maybe used a gallon of oil a year running it two to three times a week on the local rivers. I will own another one eventually.

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Anyone I know with an Etec loves it.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

9. tubejig

tubejig

I bought cases of xd100 off Amazon this spring for 99 bucks for 3 gallons with free shipping.

My g2 has had some hiccups but no major failures. It was just recalls that needed to be done. Lots of power and the onboard oil reservoir is the best.

10. Homer

Homer

I'm in the middle of my 8th season with my 115, and it hasn't given me a single problem.