Erie, PA

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Michigan Muck Hunter, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Michigan Muck Hunter

Michigan Muck Hunter

I made a trip out to Erie, PA over the last weekend for 3 days of fishing. I have a good friend who moved out there 5 years ago from MI and he has been trying to get me out there for a few years now. He claimed it was a good winter fishery and his pics had all the proof of it. To say it is a good fishery is an understatement. It was great. Lots of fish hooked and caught. I was surprised by the number of people fishing here in February but I soon seen why. I was also taken back by many of the gents walking down to the river with a sling of minnows over there shoulder. A local told me a lot of Russians inhabit that region and are all about the minnows. I can attest that they catch a lot of fish this way. I stuck to my Michigan roots floating jigs and beads (beads are somewhat illegal out there but is up to the game wardens discretion). I caught my fair share of fish. The biggest I caught and seen caught was no more than 6lbs. The fish run smaller out there. To me a fish is a fish and I have all the respect in the world for them. I had a great time. PA is a pretty state with lots of large foothills and friendly fisherman. I did not notice a lot of pin fisherman. As a matter of fact my buddy hated my pin even though I gave him all the room he wanted to fish so I made my way down my own stretches of water. It was not a far drive from my home in Southern Genesee county to Erie, PA (4.5 hours). If you have never been I would put it on the list of places to visit. 23334.jpeg 20180217_121734.jpg IMG_20180217_194815_774.jpg

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

PA is way cool!

Pools with a hundred fish are common, especially once the water drops. Like shooting fish in a barrel

Michigan Muck Hunter likes this.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

Looks like you found the "other" Grand River. Yeah, sometimes holes in PA tribs can be loaded with 1000's of Steelhead. It isn't really my cup of tea to fish in crowds like that, but it can be fun to hammer fish after fish after fish.

Michigan Muck Hunter likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

The size of the fish is not that important as long as you had fun, and enjoyed the many fish that you got into. It is all a matter of what is available 5-6# in Pa., 8-10# in Mi., and 15#+ in Ak., they all fight and give you an experience on the river.

5. Michigan Muck Hunter

Michigan Muck Hunter

Couldn't agree more. It was a great trip and one I will be making on a yearly basis.

flyrodder46 likes this.