Epstein had a cabin in Michigan

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by jiggin is livin, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Interesting the leads coming out of all this. Kinda weird how this isn't the most important story on the news everyday. Including all the recent raids that have recovered over 100 children in the last month or so. Maybe we can keep a running tally of such things for those of us who wish to stay informed.

Please delete any political crap and not close it. We can all agree anyone involved with any of this deserves to burn, regardless of who.

https://filmdaily.co/news/jeffrey-epstein-lair/

2. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Seriously, it boils my blood. She doesn't deserve privacy.

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A woman who said she was a victim of Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking told a U.S. appeals court that Ghislaine Maxwell's desire for privacy failed to justify the continued sealing of a deposition that the British socialite has fought to keep out of the public eye.

Lawyers for Virginia Giuffre made the argument in a Wednesday filing with the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, ahead of Sept. 22 oral arguments over the release of materials from her now-settled defamation lawsuit against Maxwell.

Many documents from that case were unsealed in July, and Maxwell is appealing U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska's order to release other materials, including her April 2016 deposition and a deposition by a second Epstein accuser.

"Maxwell's vague argument about privacy interests cannot justify total closure of the deposition materials," and overcome "the public's presumption of access," Giuffre's lawyers Sigrid McCawley and David Boies told the Manhattan-based appeals court.

Lawyers for Maxwell did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Maxwell, 58, has pleaded not guilty to helping Epstein recruit and eventually abuse three girls from 1994 to 1997 and to committing perjury by denying her involvement with the late financier under oath.

Her trial is scheduled for next July. Epstein killed himself at age 66 in August 2019 at a federal jail in Manhattan while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Maxwell has said her deposition contained "intimate, sensitive, and personal information," and whose release would cause irreversible, negative publicity.

She said this would undermine her constitutional rights to remain silent and obtain a fair trial by an impartial jury, outweighing any presumption of public access.

But lawyers for Giuffre, who has said Epstein kept her as a "sex slave" with Maxwell's assistance, said Maxwell did not meet the high legal hurdle of showing Preska abused her discretion.

The lawyers said an unsealing would not compel Maxwell to make self-incriminating statements, saying that she "was deposed twice in 2016, and twice at that time failed to invoke her right to remain silent."

They also said there was no basis to credit Maxwell's "speculative" fear of unfair pretrial publicity and a tainted jury pool, especially in large metropolitan areas such as New York.

"The size and heterogeneity of such communities make it unlikely that even the most sensational case will become 'a cause celebre' where the whole community becomes interested in all the morbid details," Giuffre's lawyers said, quoting a decision from another federal appeals court.

The Miami Herald also wants Maxwell's deposition unsealed.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; editing by Jonathan Oatis and Marguerita Choy)

vsmorgantown likes this.

3. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Does anyone think it's ironic that Maxwell is in custody and we've been seeing reports of children being found and saved from trafficking?

Surprised she isn't dead yet because she knows the major players in the child trafficking game.

4. swampbuck

swampbuck

My daughter was recruited by that school, turned it down because of the cost. Glad we didnt do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin and vsmorgantown like this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I know alot of people that went there. A couple of them learned alot and really influenced their futures. Sucks that this dirt bag was associated with it.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. swampbuck

swampbuck

We couldnt do the 75k a year for high school, she graduated from public school, with a full ride to alma and cambridge. 4 years on the UN youth council. Interupted by covid, working for the Maine democrat party.

Ugh, I am solid republican

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I'm certainly not going to defend one of these predators, but here's a portion of the linked inital article that drives me NUTS.....

A woman, who chose to remain anonymous, sued Epstein’s estate for $25 million for the “significant past and future pain and suffering” she suffered due to Epstein’s extensive sexual abuse, according to the Daily Mail. The woman claimed Epstein recruited her when she was a thirteen-year-old student at Interlochen and abused her for over four years.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for some poor victim(?) that didn't say a freakin' thing until the chance at a payday reared its head. I find it hard to believe that someone can be abused for four years without the chance to escape. Was she held prisoner for that entire time? Why didn't she file a police report when she had the chance? I wonder what she would say to all of the young women/girls that were abused after her. Anyone else think that maybe some of them would have been saved if she had spoken up?

Oldgrandman and jiggin is livin like this.
  8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The people that do these things are very good at grooming the kids and scaring them. The girl was 13-17 yrs old. Without being in her shoes and from her background I dont see how you can possibly blame a victim here. It is kind of understandable that once it is finally over you try to put it behind you. Years later after you gain some self esteem and courage why not sue? I think she should have went after 100 million. Why not the SOB was loaded.

9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Way too many victims claim this exact same thing, after the fact, after the abuser finally gets caught.

How do you think they finally get caught?

Also, if this poor girl was abused for four years, how many people abused her, and why isn't she suing all of them?

How many other predators is she refusing to bring to justice?

garyb likes this.
  10. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

On that token would you say adult women in emotionally and/or physically abusive relationships are able to just walk away? The facts prove otherwise. Dont be so quick to judge, the abusers always pick emotionally insecure/immature victims and thats how they get away with it. Its hard for those of us who aren't in that position to realize what the victims go through. Sure there are some that milk it, but at the end of the day it comes down to them seeing an opportunity to get even or to get what they deserve. For some its not even about the money, they see other victims coming forward and the media helping so they are less afraid to speak up.

Just imagine what someone with unlimited wealth and power and access to high powers on an international scale could threaten you and those you love with. I dont even want to think about it.

Hope that helps explain what these pour souls are going through. Victim blaming isnt helping anything it just makes their battle that much harder.

11. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Care to answer the questions I posed?

12. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

I tried to explain what the victims go through, Ill do my best to capture the essence of your questions... Not saying all of them truly are victims, we know there were hundreds if not thousands who did what they did, likely enjoyed it and have no problem living life now. Likely alot of narcissistic personalities were recruited as their sex slaves hence their willingness to participate in exchange for vanity and financial gain. But then there are those that were willing participants initially that realized what was going on after some time and tried to get away but couldn't. There's just too many different circumstances to make an if/then statement for all the participants. Some are victims and some arent how will we ever know the difference? Not all of them went through the same abuse either. Some of them were physically raped, others just corerced into lesser acts. I dont differentiate between rape and coersion its disgusting and abusive either way.

Ill agree some are likely just in it for the money, but those that were truly hurt by it deserve the respect and ability to pursue justice without public finger pointing.

The bottom line is Epstein and the many others involved are creeps and they all deserve whats coming to them. You cant judge them if you haven't been in their position. 4 years in an abusive relationship is nothing, there are people who go through spousal abuse all their lives and their spouse's power and control over them prevents them from ever leaving, alot commit suicide because they dont have the social support to break away. I guess having the education around all this allows me to have an open mind about it, I just dont see how criticizing someone you dont know or understand is appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.