Elk $.02 CO Vs ID

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Cptncor84, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

A buddy and I have been applying for points in WY for a 22'-23' bow and gun hunt (currenlty @ 3pts), knowing were going to take about a month off of work to hunt each season. A generic question for anyone who has hunted CO and ID their thoughts on a week long bow hunt 21' as a prep hunt with low expectations that would be as much as a spike camping hunt for 7-10days the end of Sept. I have snowmobiled in Steamboat with our own sleds for the last several years and have a good idea of the area around Hahns Peak and N of the city. My dad did a spike camp near Meeker a few years back with little luck and we also have a buddy who lives down by Durango who would let us crash there for as long as we wanted and help in anyway he can. Since this first venture is $ conscious and OTC would you ever choose ID over CO. ID offers about the same scenery and Id imagine lower pressure. I am mindful of the herd size between each state too. I have been north of SaltLake on our bikes and camped all around Bear Lake ID and seen plenty of elk in Aug years ago. We are both mid 30s, will be in much better shape by than and have each spent about a month living/camping out of 1 pack bag. Im not looking for units or any specifics just overall opinion on Steamboat/Durango area VS ID hunting ? There are just so many directions and I though possibly this group would have some honest feedback for us to help make a choice. PM welcome

2. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

I have fallen in love with Idaho, about to make my 5th trip there in 4 years :) . OTC tags are available every year but sold out very quickly this year. The Frank Church tags are easy to get but keep in mind the elk densities are very low with high predator populations. Colorado has more Elk than any other state by far, but they do get hunted hard.

Good luck on your planning!

Norman Kaster likes this.

3. Deskjockey1

Deskjockey1

I've hunted Unit 14 in CO a couple years ago. I heard it's going to the limited draw? It's in the area you speaketh of. There was some hunting pressure, and a LOT of deadfall. There were some cutting crews in that area, but there's just so much. Some guys from Minnesota left early because they couldn't handle all of the deadfall. I did see elk and other hunters. I heard some horrendous bugle attempts. Doug Flute's. I think the high temps and ultra dry weather shut things down.

4. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

yeah CO unit 14 or ID units are down to DiamondCreek / Tex / Bear River. I think we are leaning toward ID at this point but not sure where.

5. kracker

kracker

I would be will to give full details on the area I have hunted in Idaho. My hunts were during the gun season so I can't give full details on the people during bow season but I do have a handle on the gun season. Shoot me a P.M. if interested

Cptncor84 likes this.
  6. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

If you’re looking at an archery hunt it’s Idaho without question. The pressure in Colorado is ridiculous.
    I go to Colorado simply out of default. Once you know you aren’t drawn anywhere else you go to Colorado because that’s you’re only option.

Now that I have points built up in multiple states I imagine this will be my last trip to Colorado. I cycle through my points in other states on a 4-5 year cycle. If I get stuck one year we will go to Idaho.

Fool'em likes this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’ve hunted both states, love them both. Colorado has way more elk than Idaho increasing sightings. In Idaho you go up then immediately back down. If you want to get away from the crowds just walk farther back in. In Michigan that’s a mile out west it’s a days walk. Wildness areas in Colorado are gently rolling compared to Idaho’s back country. Both are beautiful and have more than enough elk to keep a hunter busy.

8. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

Thank you everyone for the help, ID it is. Last week in Sept 21' 2 dudes in a Ram will be Westbound. Working on getting a decent size pack and updating some hunting clothes now, as well as spending hrs a week on google earth. Will probably end up with a decent GPS and OnX at some point.

9. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I think tags sold out in June for Idaho this year. I got both of mine.

10. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

Brushbuster Im reading that some of these units you need to be online at Midnight local to snag a tag which is OK and if we dont get a special one than head to OTC. Trying to get my head around their license system...$150 non resident application which is non refundable and then you get $416 tag + $5-10 archery stamp ?

11. Norman Kaster

Norman Kaster

Idaho is my choice hunter colorado and it was great but the elevation kicks my butt, so Idaho has way better elevation, for me 9800 is my limit with fully loaded pack 80+ lbs but... The steep train is the killer of Idaho that is the reason it's not over crowded like colorado is....I won't go out for only a week for anything gun or bow, it took me and my buddy almost a week to get out our elk and we both tagged out on the same day on the 5 th day of our hunt 8 miles from the quad and 16 mile quad ride from base camp.

12. Norman Kaster

Norman Kaster

It cost us about 2200 each to drive from port huron michigan to northern Idaho and that included tags, food, diesel fuel for the truck, gas for the generator and two quads we also pulled a enclosed car hauler that kept our gear our freezer and other goodies. We found that the weather this year had things pretty quiet, so we found a few herds that were 3 miles from our base camp, but the early hunting pressure had them really spooky. So we went in on the fourth day and set a spike camp up into the deep back country and bugled off of the mountain we were sleeping on and instantly had bugles all around us so the next morning we picked the closest one and went for it and got lucky. Usually Idaho in mid-september the weather is predominantly wet average temp 55-65°, this past September we were seeing temperatures in the high 80s and then we had snow for 2 days then back in the 80s luckily for us our elk that we killed were way down deep in a Black timber draw that never really seen any sunlight during the day so our meat stayed perfect but we were forced to only pack meat during the night just to keep the heat off of our packs. Trying to navigate your way out of blowdown and steep elevation is absolutely no fun so my lesson that I learned this year is if you're going to go deep be prepared physically and have the correct gear that is lightweight the pack I used absolutely sucked and that was my fault for not testing my gear prior to getting out there making sure it was good to handel 80+ lbs with out cutting into my hips and shoulders...I spent 2 hours just trying to get the pack to sit the best it could. I trained with a 50 lb bag of bird seed and had no problems but debone meat in meat bags are not the same as a bag of bird seed, hunt weather accordingly my buddy ended up losing his cape on his bull due to the hot temperatures we had to deal with and now he has to find another cape. If you have other questions just ask I'm glad to help ya out.

WMU05 and Stubee like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee

That’s a good story of a hard lesson learned, and sometimes that’s just how we learn. Thanks for passing it on.

14. ryan-b

ryan-b

Just saw this post wish I had earlier. I used to guide in central ID. Of all the western states ID has by far the most rugged country.

15. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

Well after the tag prices jumped for next your in ID I think we might be headed to the area I know fairly well NE of Steamboat CO from sledding the past several years. This first trip is just as much about the experience and camping along the way as slinging an arrow. Our 22' trip to WY Im planning on 3+ weeks of hunting and probably flying back to MI in between for some family time if the wife gets a bug about that kinda time away.