electric start snowmobile

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by fishgitter, Jan 30, 2018.

1. fishgitter

fishgitter

Don't no if this is the right place to ask this , but here goes. Is it a big job to change a pull start snowmobile to an electric start? I have a pretty good 1989 Yamaha exciter that starts fair to good when I pull most of the time , but when it sits in the cold for a long time I have to pull it a lot. I am getting to old to be pulling a lot when I'm out on the bay, and moving around a lot. If its worth it I will do it, on the other hand if not I will probably just have to buy a different sled????

2. UplandnWaterfowl

UplandnWaterfowl Premium Member

You could have just googled "1989 yamaha exciter electric start kit". If it was me and my sled did not start on first pull I would not be putting money into an old sled and would be looking into one that starts every time. Lots of good sleds in the 20xx range that are cheap and reliable.

29 years is a lot to ask for any sled, look for another with EFI and starting will not be an issue.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018

3. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

You could put electric start on its hit you would have to piece it together with used parts. By the time you buy a new clutch, starter, wiring, battery etc you will have a decent chunk of money into it. I would just go through it and figure out why it is so hard to start. I would begin with cleaning the carbs, new fuel lines, filter etc. check and make sure the choke is working. You could always install a primer which is less than $20.

4. Rasher

Rasher

Starting fluid !!!!

junkman likes this.
  5. fishgitter

fishgitter

OK, I can get the parts on e-bay and I have a heated garage, but then again it would take me a while to do it(because I'm not that good of a mechanic) or hire some one( more $ ). I think I talked myself out of doing that ,because of what you mentioned about it being a older machine. I did find out that if when you stop and shut the machine off you should shut the gas off. I tried that an it started right up on the second pull. I called the previous owner and he told me to do that, because that's what is causing the hard start. With the gas on it tends to flood. So thank you for answering my post and helping me make my mind up!! I will be looking for a electric start with back and a2-up to hall my pop-up.

6. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

If it’s flooding when Shut off it’s a carb issue. Either the floats need adjusted, bad needle and seat or the o ring under is cracked or dried out. Should be an easy fix if you are a little bit mexhanically inclined. Tons of videos on you tube of taking carbs apart.

7. fishgitter

fishgitter

OK, Jimbo, thanks I'll give it a try!! I have a friend that works on sleds maybe he can check the floats. Because when I bought the sled I had the carbs rebuilt. Maybe they didn't do a good job on the float adjustment??

8. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

No problem I just had the same problem with my trail sled. One of the o rings was bad so it would seep fuel when siting, which would make it hard to start. Fresh o ring and it’s back to normal.