Electric Smoker advise

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by baseballdad, Apr 1, 2018.

1. baseballdad

baseballdad

I have always wanted to try smoking meats and fish and such. I am a avid BBQ guy and want to take the nest step.

So for my First smoker I have decided I want to try a electric smoker.

I have been looking on line and all over but wanted to get some real world advise.

I'm looking to stay between $200 and $300 for my first one.

I was watching a video on youtube and the guy said a smoker with a window is good as you can watch it work, but I think that if it doesn't have a window you set it and forget it till the timer goes off

So with that said, I have seen Bradley,Masterbuilt.smoke hollow,dyna-glo and char-broil

The masterbuilt seem to be the nicest of the entry level smokers, but what do you guys say

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I had an electric and got rid of it. I use propane with applewood. I’m very happy with Smoke Hollow. It give me good temperature control in the summer and winter where my electric cycled on and off.

bobberbill likes this.

3. baseballdad

baseballdad

Well that throws a wrench in to it lol, I wanted feedback and this is what I’m looking to get is the pros and cons

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Forgot the pro, they look nice when coming out of the box.

BWalton likes this.
  5. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I currently have 2 propane smokers (Smoke Hollow for meat, Smokey Mountain for fish) and neither one had what I would consider good temperature control out of the box. My solution was to install turkey fryer style gas regulators on them and they're both pretty good for temp control now. Problem #2 was getting consistent smoke at low temperatures. To fix that, I simply lowered the chip pans closer to the burners.

The hardest part of getting fish to turn out right is temperature control. At some point I'm going to buy an electric (not sure which one yet) and if it doesn't have digital temp controls I'm going to add them. My plan is to use an "A Maz N" smoke generator.

My Smoke Mountain turns out great fish but you have to babysit it so temp doesn't get away from you and ruin the batch. IMG_20170731_235358779.jpg

baseballdad likes this.
  6. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

No complaints with the master built. Have had it for years and do a lot of salmon/trout/ venison/ summer sausage/ ribs etc

Socks, Shoeman and baseballdad like this.
  7. baseballdad

baseballdad

Electric?

I was reading on a smoking forum and a lot of people in the electric section said Masterbuilt is the way to go

Shoeman likes this.
  8. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Yes electric. Very easy to use and clean. Pretty much just set it and forget about it.

9. Larry Kirwan

Larry Kirwan

I bought a propane smoker last fall and can't believe I didn't get 1 long ago, did a lot of reading reviews and Happy I went with propane,,,,,,they (1 propane 20# tank last forever) I smoked jerky a few times and they barley sip any propane. Way less than a gas grill. Most people who posted reviews on propane smokers first bought electric, go to amazon and read reviews on selected models.

10. Jmohunts

Jmohunts

I have propane, NO way you you can come close to smoke anywhere below 200°. . Bought an electric, and WAY BETTER, for temp control, Way less checking, and no more running out of Gas half way thru a day of smoking. Also electric is insulated so way safer with kids around, as outside isnt even warm. I I would take an electric over Propane 100% of time. My old propane smoker is getting made into a cold smoker.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12Point, Socks, Shoeman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I got a Masterbuilt digital with bluetooth controlled from an app for Christmas. The bluetooth and app part of it is positively is a glitchy POS and Masterbuilt shouldn't even sell them, but the smoker controlled manually works very good, you just have to walk out to make sure on temps if you want to know.

I did a ham and venison sausage for Easter(no pics) which turned out very good.

12. Larry Kirwan

Larry Kirwan

with a little research, you'd see all you do is drop your water pan right over flame and mine will smoke as low as 140 deg if wanted, if I want more heat-just put water pan back on it's rack....To Each his OWN....

jakeo likes this.
  13. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I have a Cookshack Smokette... absolutely great to smoke with! I had a propane but couldn't control the temperature... Mine is analog control but now they have digital which sounds good. Uses chunks of wood instead of pellets or chips/sawdust which I prefer. I have used for pulled pork, pulled chicken, ribs and smoked fish. Fantastic results!

14. Jmohunts

Jmohunts

My water pan sat on the flame, do all the research you want, I know what mine would do. Turn it down too much no smoke, Electric IS WAY Easier to control, which results in less chance to screw up. With propane, If you didn't watch it like a hawk,at end, jerky would dry in hot spots. , You think that water isn't going to heat up,
    No way you are keeping a good smoke going, at 140 with a propane smoker, just aint happening, even if its -20 out. FLAME IS Flame, if you can find one at 140° let me know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SteelShot and milanmark like this.
  15. jr9912

jr9912

My suggestion is to spend a bit more and look at a Smokin'It brand electric smoker. I wish I would have 15 years ago. I have always battled with propane keeping a set temperature. With the Smokin' It number 2 I was able to smoke a brisket for 15 hours the last week of December with an outside temp in the single digits and the smoker stayed between 215 and 240 degrees the entire time. I have a smoke hollow propane unit that I used for 1 summer and it is headed to the scrap yard, will not keep a steady temp or stay lit in the wind. Electric is set it and walk away. Just a joy to smoke with.