Eberhart's suggestion for eliminating rubber boot odor

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TheMAIT, Dec 1, 2020.

1. TheMAIT

TheMAIT

All-
    Was recently watching a few of John Eberhart's videos. In one of them, he suggested he doesn't wear his new rubber boots for an entire year after buying them. In order to minimize the "new rubber" smell, he says he buries his boots in a hole, filled the hole up around them, and lets them sit, allowing the soil to draw the odor away. He felt the soil drew out the odor better than air.
    I've covered mine with mud before and stored them in totes with chopped pine branches, leaves, and acorns...for a few months. What else have you had success with-or have you tried the buried in dirt technique?

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Wow. He is thorough thats for sure. I always wondered if he considered the new rubber smell and I guess I have my answer. Seems like the method would be hard on the insulation on the inside of the boot.

3. d_rek

d_rek

Just wear them and the smell will go away on it's own.

4. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

I soak mine in a tub of water with laundry soap. I do it every year actually and usually once during season. Hang them upside down for a day and then boot dryer. Spray with scent killer, shake them in a bin full of Carbon power and usually good to go.

Using this process it's been a few years since i've had a deer pick up my boot trail!

5. Radar420

Radar420

I leave them outside in a sunny spot for a couple weeks (hopefully it rains a time or 2) dry them out and store them in a carbon filled tote.

In the past I tried a baking soda paste but the sun worked better and faster.

Namrock and TheMAIT like this.
  6. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

I also don’t wear mine the first season I buy them, but every time I’m up north I walk threw the cow pasture with them on. No sh$t it’s the honest to god truth!
    Flight

7. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

I've heard the bury in ground method years ago, it very well may have been eberhart. I just shed hunt, off season scout , mushroom hunt and turkey hunt in a new pair then into a tote. Lots of good air time in the month or so leading up to season - getting them out of tote let em sit outside on nice weekends no matter how new or old they are.

8. Whitetail1

Whitetail1

I've never found that deer really care too much about petroleum odors. Otherwise they would vacate my entire property as my tractor leaks like the Exon Valdez.
    Just make certain the human odor is gone.

9. stickman1978

stickman1978

Shot my deer with brand new boots on.

10. Jiw275

Jiw275

Where do you think the deer bought the boots?

Big Skip, jme, deathdealer and 22 others like this.
  11. Namrock

Namrock

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
    I'd also add when using the carbon powder on the inside of any boot, do not forget to take your socks off before you get to the carpet. If you do forget & make that mistake, for the love of God man don't do it twice!

12. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

ha ha I can imagine. Anything I wear hunting never makes it in doors. I either dress or undress at the truck or in the barn. Anything I wear goes into a bag to get prepped for the next hunt.

QDMAMAN and Dish7 like this.
  13. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

zeolite inside the boots, carbon on the outside

14. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

I'd agree. But pre carbon i'd have deer follow my trail to my tree and that just gives them more of a chance to catch some scent either by me mistakenly touching something or a swirling wind. I prefer they just mosey on through.

15. sniper

sniper

I wear new boots IMG_2130.JPG doing outside odds and ins before I start hunting in them. My hunting boots have never been in any other place besides on my hunting property or in my dirt floor pole barn. I’ve had hundreds of deer cut my tracks without a second sniff. Johnny E is a little compulsive. Here’s my new toy for going scent free. Game changer in my opinion. And no I’m not burying my bike tires for a year before I ride it into the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman