East Side Walleye Trip

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by TRACKERT, Jun 12, 2020.

1. TRACKERT

TRACKERT

Heading over end of June solo ( 21st-25th ), 17ft. deep v, 40 hp tiller, starting at Erie and hopefully ending up at Saginaw Bay, plan on camping at sterling and algonac state parks, just sleeping in back of truck, might stay at northland last night. one issue I'm having is hopefully catch fish and need to freeze them, I have tried using the rock salt mixed with the ice and it seems to actually get cold enough to freeze fish, limited on room so portable freezer is iffy. Bringing trolling,( cranks,spoons, BB), drifting, and jigging gear so if weather doesn't cooperate (which it usually doesn't for me) I have plan B and can hit a river somewhere. Where to clean fish is another problem hopefully I have, got a couple places but not sure about what DNR or other sites are open? I've never done a trip like this, hitting multiple ports in a short week, any suggestions or tips?( other than not to do it:coco:)
    Thanks for any help,
    Tim

Wiggler likes this.
  2. 7x57

7x57

Sounds like a great adventure, perhaps keep less fish and cook and eat them.

Wiggler likes this.

3. piketroller

piketroller

A tailgate makes a pretty good cleaning table if you through a piece of plywood on it. For freezing fish, you can get dry ice at most Meijer stores, and that’s a lot colder than rock salt mixed with normal ice.

Wiggler likes this.
  4. TRACKERT

TRACKERT

definitely don't need to keep fish, have plenty in the freezer, never really thought of not keeping them, but is worth considering because I enjoy catching them so much, but also do enjoy giving it to friends, plan on eating some on trip. I have heard guys cleaning them on there tailgates, if I do this I'll have to make sure to keep it clean, I have "bed rug" bed liner which is like a carpet, all one piece, I will try the tailgate, maybe just put plastic or something down, you just bag guts and toss in trash?

5. TRACKERT

TRACKERT

Well late update on trip, was great trip, not a ton of fish but that was ok, got to Erie Monday ( 6/22 ) morning still dark out, jeesh there's a lot of geese around that launch, went straight out of sterling, on the way out I was shining my spotlight to see where to go and ton of small 8 in chub looking fish started jumping all over, hitting my boat and even jumping in. Started with spoons and then switched to crawler due to all the mayfly casings and weeds, took a while but got six. Was going to stay at sterling but weather sounded bad so drove 2 1/2+ hours home and cleaned fish, hooked the boat up to charge and called it a day. Left for the river Tuesday morning and got there around 9 and had to wait out some heavy rain for about an hour, then launched at ecorse and jigged and ran bb till around 5, had a strong south wind that made things a little sporty up river and I only managed 3 fish. Got the boat loaded and headed for Algonac state park, rolled in there around 9:30 and got boat hooked up and crawled into the back of truck with new memory foam mattress:) and called it a day. Holy frickin musquitos:rant: they were real bad at the campground, somewhat at the launch but not like the campground, launched out of marine city Wednesday morning and tried bb and spinner rig, then just went to slow death rig and picked up a couple, didn't see a lot of action from other boats but I struggled. Got back to the launch around noon, ( nice launch ) couple guys coming out after me that I gave my fish to, they appreciated it and I hoped it would give me a little karma for my whipping trip that night. Went back got some lunch , took a nap, and then headed out for my whipping trip, no fish till 10:30 then started to pick a few up, stopped at around 2 or 3 with four fish. I got back to launch and took my time loading the boat and then headed for SunSet marina on Saginaw bay. Got there and noticed trees blowing and was disappointed because I only have a 17ft deep v with 40 hp tiller, but I plowed my way out and it actually calmed down quite a bit. started with harnesses but was getting a lot of rough fish so switched to spoons and ended up with 4, called it around noon ( I think ) and loaded up the boat and headed home. It was fun, but a lot of driving which is why I probably won't do that trip again, and instead just stay at one place.

Attached Files:

6. 2010flhtk

2010flhtk

Nice job hitting all of my favorite walleye HOT SPOTS!! but I usually just pend a few days at one spot per trip.

7. Slimshady

Slimshady

I think that is the wise option. If you plan on staying near the downriver area, then you can easily hit Lake Erie or the D-River if it is too windy. By staying in one area, you can really dial them in. They have a fish cleaning station at SSP, however, you can easily make a table out of two plastic saw-horses and a piece of 1/2" plywood.

8. CatfishKurt

CatfishKurt

Pretty cool trip. Just rolling around all the hotspots catching some eyes, sleeping out of the truck. Very nice.