close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Early Season Trapping to Get Warmed Up

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by HungryHunter, Oct 11, 2017.

1. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Hello,

I read a lot about how sub-prime furs, raccoons in particular, are of no value. This will be my first year trapping and the season opens Oct. 15th.

If I were to start setting 1 or 2 traps, just to get my feet wet with the whole setting and post-processing part, would the catches be absolutely worthless before late Nov or would they have some residual value? Maybe 4 or 5 sub-prime furs are better to have than 1 prime fur?

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Why produce a sub prime product that there is no demand for?
    Prepping sites and aquiring lands to trap can still be done.

Up to you ,but a fur buyer knows at a glance ( though will go beyond that) what you have.

I would prefer a better bid ,and reputation .

Seldom likes this.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

You'll have to pay the buyer to take less than prime coon, IMO.

Seldom likes this.
  4. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Thanks. I'll heed your warnings and hold off for a few more weeks. I didn't even think about the growing the contacts and reputation part of it.

5. Patrickr

Patrickr

If you are actually from Oakland County I would think that your larger male coons should be starting to get pretty decent by October 25th. You might want to consider waiting until November 1st to be on the safe side. Those would the upland male coons, not the river bottom coons. By November 10th all of the larger males and larger dry females should all be looking real good as far as prime goes.

furandhides likes this.
  6. meatfishhunter

meatfishhunter

The fur is there before the leather turns white. I would say you are still a bit early though

7. Seldom

Seldom

And on top of it all about primeness, you still have to contend with selling all of the red and yellow bastards, add titty-coon to the equation and OH-boy, big $$$! LMAO

FREEPOP likes this.
  8. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Thanks guys. Always a good help and willing to lend your experience and insights.

9. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

He said "titty coon". That's a new one for me but I'm going to use that now!

Was going through some muddy areas last night on my way to a bow stand. Said to self "should start seeing a few fresh Coyote tracks" and, almost on que, there they were. Right on the weed edge and where a trail comes out of the weeds to a plowed field. Perfect spot for a double setup. One on each side of the trail!