Early rut this year?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by lostontheice, Oct 15, 2020.

1. lostontheice

lostontheice

Already seeing a ton of active scrapes,watched 2 scrub bucks case does and the grunts were deep.. Are we going to get a early full rut this year??

November Sunrise likes this.
  2. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Definitely early

3. BillBuster

BillBuster

Yes I agree! Same observations here.

4. WMU05

WMU05 Premium Member

It's already over. The harvest moon and cold front the first weekend of the month triggered it. Most breeding occurred during those two days. Just be thankful we'll get a long post rut without any bucks being locked down for the next 6 weeks.

5. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

I always thought mid October was about right with it peaking the first half of November. Does go into heat mid October, again mid November than again mid December +/- a week or two if not bred early

jiggin is livin and Gone Coastal like this.
  6. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I like you, but you're crazy

7. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

Yep its over your all too late. Cancel your vacation and head back to work. If you missed this weeks rutcation sorry about your luck, better luck next year.

8. mustang72

mustang72

Ok were waiting.... that was sarcasm right?

9. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/jjp1/ansc...iggered mainly by,it induces estrus (Webster).

The 'rut' occurs every year from October to December. Every year at this time there are does being bred...bucks chasing, scrapes opened. Its been going on for a couple weeks in all the woods I've been in. Every year its the same.

All the does don't pop into estrus at once, its triggered by a hormone level in their blood. Each doe hits that trigger at a different time. The hormone levels are affected by the photoperiod, but each doe triggers differently. The link above describes it better than I can. I've seen varying numbers, but the very most I've seen is 20% of does are bred in October. Most numbers are closer to 5%. This means the peak of the rut is still well in front of us.

Bucks are ready to breed as soon as their testosterone levels are high enough that they feel the need to shed their velvet. So they will display pre-rut behavior immediately (scrapes, rubs, sniffing up does, chasing, etc.) The earliest that I ever saw a doe get bred was Oct. 8th. This isn't early for a lot of pre-rut activity, its right on time.

I do believe the lunar phases influence deer movement, but not cause them to go into estrus. In fact deer farms trigger does to go into heat by limiting their day light. Nothing to do with the moon.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  10. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

.....and just as assuredly there will be threads discussing early rut/timing of the rut every year...
    <----<<<

11. old graybeard

old graybeard

Everything I've noticed tells me it's just like every past year. I guess maybe you have to live it to understand it.

12. Spartan88

Spartan88

Necropsies done at a NELP club show peak breeding is early November, 5th to 8th. Dont know about the zone 3 petting zoo. :D

13. skipper34

skipper34

Joe is right. Every deer season there is the same discussion of early or late rut. The “rut” is merely a term referring to the breeding season. There is no early rut or late rut. It is not governed by anything else except by the fact that the bucks have testosterone and the does have pheromones. It is that simple. The bucks are ready to breed as soon as they are in hard bone on their noggins. The does are ready when they go into estrus. Weather and temperature has nothing to do with rut timing. These facts have been stated in writing for as long as there has been deer hunting by persons who know more about it than most of us.

MSUFW07 likes this.
  14. Martian

Martian

I have been led to understand the rut is brought about by photo period, which means it will happen the same time every year. I think that in past times when i thought rut was early/late, it was really because I found sign early or late. jmo

15. jatc

jatc

Over thirty years of experience in the deer woods here. I can tell you without a doubt that the rut is totally controlled by my work schedule.

If I am going to work there will be bucks chasing and the LFTS threads will be blowing up with pics of harvested rut crazed mature bucks.

If I am off work that day, the bucks will return to August bachelor groups and spend all day out of range completely ignoring my grunts, rattling, and decoy.

I am currently taking orders for a copy of my work calendar for the rest of the year. Only $19.99 plus a small handling fee and you too will know when to be in the woods! PM me if you’re interested.