E Tech or Merc

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by harleyharry, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Matt V

Matt V

I currently own 4 merc 4 strokes, a 175 verado, 9.9 pro kicker, a 20 and 25. All run great and would have no problem buying another merc..... I have had 2 issues with the verado, but it is 12 years old. No issues with the other 3. I had more issues with my last Yamaha in the 6 years that I owned it. As far as being cold blooded, the 2 that are efi start quicker than my cars. The 9.9 can be a little cold blooded, the 20 horse starts a little hard the first time every year, but no problems after that. Out of the 2 that you mentioned, I would go with the mercury for sure.

Norman Kaster likes this.
  2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I thought the same for decades

Yet not much choice when buying a Whaler. Even hated the thought! Took me a about a month to tame the fickle beast. Don’t over-prime and feed it too much at start up. Let the electronics within do the work (efi)

This thing fires quicker and stays running than my old 90 Yamaha. Never thought I’d say that.

snortwheeze likes this.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

But the old Yammie was a carburated 2 stroke........not a fair comparison. ;)

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

True that!

5. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

I’ve had a 70 Suzuki for 4 years, run it ice out to ice up with zero issues.
    Turn the key and it starts every time.
    Not a speed demon, but plenty of torque and whisper quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Also impressed back down in the Keys

We did a flawless journey for about 80 miles. Quiet and most efficient

Now not sure of the dealer network up here, might have been improved.

Central U.P. and Walley Gordo like this.
  7. shoprat51

shoprat51

Gonna piss a lot of people off I love evenrudes but essox is right since evinrude is done parts may be a issue long term take a look at Suzuki or Yamaha if I was repowering I would go with eather one both great motors very reliable

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Central U.P. likes this.
  8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

When I found out that the 40, 50, and 60 hp mercs where made in China, I went with yamaha.

Central U.P. likes this.
  9. will48374

will48374

I have Sea Nymph CC-171 and repowered it from a 2 stroke Merc 60 HP to a Suzuki 60 HP and could not be more pleased. Did a lot of research and ruled out both the E-Tech and the Merc for my needs.

My Suzuki gives me plenty of speed (30 MPH) and sips the fuel.

Central U.P. and Walley Gordo like this.
  10. waldowillie

waldowillie

Have owned and still own all Evinrudes and Johnsons from day one and they all still run great; have never had any major issues. Call and talk to Dave at Lockemans Hardware & Boats in Detroit, he has worked a lot on both of the motors you mention. Over the last 20 years going to fly-in camps in Canada where mechanics are scarce, you will see more and more camp owners now fitting their boats with Yammys or Etecs instead of Mercs.

textox likes this.
  11. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

That is a problem the closest dealer for me is down on Erie. But so far I am very impressed with the Suzuki.

Central U.P. likes this.
  12. reddog1

reddog1

I have a new 2020 merc 90 on my pontoon and a 2005 E -tec 90 on my Boston Whaler. Parts availability aside, I would put an E-Tec on my pontoon in a heart beat. The mercy 90 takes a bit to get to plane and the E-Tec on the Whaler jumps out of the water in an instant. I realize that the pontoon and the Whaler are completely different vessels but I love my E-Tec

kroppe likes this.
  13. Central U.P.

Central U.P.

I'd go with a Suzuki 70 HP, I have one on my Texas Boat and it's an awesome and very economical motor . Next choice would be Yamaha or Honda the Mercury's are made in China!

Walley Gordo and Steve like this.
  14. Sharkey

Sharkey

Merc

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

15. GREG GAMPERT

GREG GAMPERT

I don't know about the Merc but one thing that sold me on the e-tec, is that it winterizes itself. Hook up a garden hose, turn it on, go through a few simple steps and in less than 5 minutes it's fogged and done, you still have to do the lower unit lube in both motors.