DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by deep woods goat hunter, May 8, 2018.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

@Jet08 Informed me that there was a habitat forum, so here's a few of the projects I've been working on this year.
    I transplanted a few mescanthus plugs from a neighbors farm, but I also ordered 100 Rhizomes from Maple Ridge Farms. I have a new food plot area (1.5 acre) that I cleared out with a dozer last fall
    Its only about 100 yards off of the road, so I had the dozer man push all the brush up in a windrow to block the plot from the road. This worked great, though the ends of the row are kind of bare. I planted a bunch of cedar trees that I transplanted from a friends farm in addition to the mescanths for an additional road blocker.

Mescanthis planting 4-22-18.jpg Mescanthus bag.jpg Mescanthus planting 2 4-22-18.jpg mescanthus.jpg
    Last Saturday 4-28 I got corn planted and sprayed pre-emergent herbicide. I had disced and tilled the soil but there was still some moisture at the bottom of the furrow and got about .7" of rain on it last Wednesday. It had spiked up in just a weeks time.
    This past weekend got the pre emergent herbicide down on my bean ground (3 acres) and 8 acres of my buddies as well.
    I have am expecting a new arrival by this weekend that will help me get beans in the ground. So I have not planted them just yet. Here's a short clip from this past weekend.

I hope I can gather some tips from this new found forum. Thanks

2. Jet08

Jet08

Keep the updates coming, these guys are a wealth of knowledge. I am looking forward to learning from your projects.

3. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Great video, thnx for sharing..

MIoutdoorsjunkie and jparks02 like this.
  4. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

What brand sprayer you running in side×side?

jparks02 likes this.
  5. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

I’m running this 45 gallon tank and 3.8 gpm pump,but with the foldable 12’ boom from an older model atv sprayer. Rebuilt all new nozzles and upgraded 3/8” to 1/2” line.
    Calibrated @ 30 psi/11.25 gallon per acre @5 mpg, that works out to right at 4 acres per tank. Wayyyyy better than the crappy 25 gallon tank with the 2.1 gpm pump.
    IMG_4744.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. wildthing

wildthing

Having that drone looks like it could be lots of fun!!

7. old graybeard

old graybeard

8. Plant175

Plant175

Dude your rockn it down there !

9. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

10. wildthing

wildthing

Those rows look pretty wide DWGH - are you straddling each row or just leaving them wide?

11. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

straddled, makes for a 25" row

wildthing likes this.
  12. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

So this happened today. I kind of forgot about it with 473 things on my mind. Pulled into the farm on my lunch break to unload tractor and pow! They were almost done. Thankfully I am in a rural co-op service area so it was really cheap to get this done. 2018 power pole 4.jpg 2018 power pole 3.jpg 2018 power pole 2.jpg 2018 power pole 1.jpg

13. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

17 days after planting and pushing 4 collar, .8" of rain in the gauge from yesterday was much needed, though just a few miles away at my parents house they got 2.25". There is a chance of more rain throughout the rest of the week that should help this corn get up and canopy.
    PS the wider spaced row was intentional so that I have room to walk to the blind in that big autumn olive bush.
    corn 5-15-2018 1.jpg corn 5-15-2018 2.jpg corn 5-15-2018 3.jpg

14. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter

Loaded up on some pallets and set water tote up about 70” so that I can gravity feed water into my sprayer tank. No more trips back to town or buddies house up the road.
    For added stability I'm going to screw all the pallets together, then drive stakes into the ground around the water tower. Then I will run braces from the stakes to the tank. At full capacity it will weight around 2200#. Water Tower 2.JPG water tower 1.JPG

WillHunt4Food likes this.
  15. Plant175

Plant175

Damn man you make the rest of us look like we’re lazy food plotters with as much as your doing. Well at least me !