close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DUI in Canada

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by Zkovach1175, Jan 27, 2018.

1. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

That's actually what I was referring to, convicted of what? You could be charged and convicted of a lesser infraction through plea agreements or have the charge tossed.

I think that morally accepting responsibility and convictions levied by the courts are separate topics:)

Edit: to try to stay on topic, I would add, be careful in Canada, their BAC limits for driving are stricter than MI. They also enforce helmet and insurance law pretty strictly. My neighbor said he was very close to going to jail for consuming beer in the boat (an American pastime it seems) while fishing in Canada.

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. hot ticket II

hot ticket II

if your record is clean since the dui and it is 10 years or more not since the arrest but the end of any probation you will likely be alright, i have a friend that had the same situation and when we went in the customs office they new everything about him, and indicated since his record had been clean and it was 10 years past his probation period he was fine to come into we were back and forth many times the last two hunting seasons and it was never brought up again.

Zkovach1175 likes this.

3. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Good to know, we should be all set then

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’m guessing it wasn’t in Fort Francis. Same situation but our trip resulted in a trip back to the International Falls airport. It all depends on who is working the desk at the border crossing. The OWI offense was over 10 years since the end of probation. In the 5 years prior all it took was $200 for a non resident visa and we were good to go on our annual hunting trip.

If you want to ensure getting into Canada, rehabilitation is required. Aside from your time required to get things done figure $4k-$5k in legal fees and Canadian costs.

5. TK81

TK81

Canada does not differentiate between DUI and Impaired Driving. Both can keep you out. Once you are flagged and refused entry, they are more likely to flag you again. Buddy got nailed for working in Canada without a permit. His entry was suspended while he went through the legal channels to get his eligibility restored. He now gets hauled inside for interrogation almost every time he crosses as he is now on the "previously refused entry" list. Anybody with him gets the same detailed scrutiny.

That said, I have been through several times where the greeting was more of a "good luck fishing" than any kind of a check. The Sault is usually much more relaxed than Port Huron. Note that I said "usually". If you have a record, you need to be prepared for denied entry.

6. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Can you explain the part in bold a bit more? As I've posted in this thread I've crossed many times with guys who have had past convictions varying from 2 - 10+ yrs prior to entry but no one has ever been denied entry. What do you mean by $4k-$5k in legal fees and Canadian costs?

7. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

It seems the administration of the statue is very erratic from entry point to entry pint. It may be worth the cost to get whatever official approval documentation my be available from the government of Ontario to smooth the way next time. Sure there is some kind of ombudsman who can assist, or a stateside attorney to secure same.

8. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I have also heard stories of guys paying $200-$250 at the border. They claim the Canadians would let them pass one time? Not sure if that was rumor or not?

9. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Can't confirm or deny that one. Sounds like a money grab rumor but who knows. I've been hit by high duty fees on alcohol the past couple years but we knew that going in and it was still cheaper to buy cheap american beer and pay the duty vs buying expensive Canadian beer.

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  10. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Again what I’m taking from all of this is we should be just fine given 1 dui more than 10 years ago and no other convictions. However nothing is for certain or in stone.

11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Give these guys a call for a quotation. Google is your friend.
    http://www.detroitimmigration.com/c...MIit-Fuumg2QIVlF5-Ch044wp2EAAYASAAEgL0wfD_BwE

http://www.temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com/criminal-rehabilitation.php

12. TK81

TK81

10 years from the last date of any penalty. If convicted in court on January 1st of 2005, then assessed 2 years of probation, the person would be eligible for re-entry January 1st of 2017.

Deemed Rehabilitation
    You may be deemed rehabilitated under Canadian immigration law if you only have a single DUI conviction that is a misdemeanor, and enough time has passed since completion of your full sentence which includes jail time, probation, reinstatement of license, and payment of all fines. If it has been more than ten years since the completion of your sentence, and you have nothing else on your criminal record, Canadian immigration authorities may disregard your prior DUI conviction and allow you to visit the country. If you have two or more drunk driving violations or other excludable criminal convictions on your record, however, you will never be deemed rehabilitated by virtue of time and may be inadmissible to Canada without a Temporary Resident Permit or Criminal Rehabilitation even 20+ years later. It is advisable that even if you may be deemed rehabilitated by the simple passage of time you have a legal opinion letter prepared to explain the exact situation to Canadian immigration authorities.

13. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I’ve read this too and I guess I’m a stickler for verbiage. “You MAY be deemed rehabbed” and “ authorities MAY disregard” your 1 DUI is what bugs me...

Big Frank 25 and Luv2hunteup like this.
  14. TK81

TK81

That's why I said you should be prepared to be denied. Without going through the documented rehabilitation process to get your entry rights restored, there is no guarantee.

15. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Gotcha, thank you gentleman!

16. jerryriggin234

jerryriggin234

My buddy has 5 dUIs all from the 90s and they let us go in no questions asked