close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Duck silhouettes ??

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by thumbteacher, Oct 11, 2017.

1. thumbteacher

thumbteacher

New to the sport and don't post much... All my duck hunting friends have floater deks... but no field deks.... should I buy standard shells or silhouettes for duck.... I have some goose silhouettes and love the way they carry... not cumbersome at all... anyway...should I buy shells or silhouettes for field duck hunting... thanks for any advice.

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

3. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

I don't hunt fields...but from what i understand, like mentioned above, goose decoys work great on the ducks

4. BFG

BFG

No need for field duck decoys at all. Watch ducks land in a field with geese. They damn near land on top of them half the time.

5. lastflight

lastflight

Exactly.

If you feel the need to get duck decoys for field hunting, I would go with socks like White Rock or Silisock. There are easy to carry and have great movement in the wind. When we hunt fields out west that have big numbers of mallards we run 100-200 socks and 3-5 spinners.

6. Highball28

Highball28

I bought some duck silos from Big Al's more for confidence for myself. I bought the Eastern pack which is 8 mallards 2 black ducks and 2 pintail drakes.

As others have said they land in geese silos fine most of the time. However one of the fields I hunted this past season mallards decoyed WAY better when we had my buddy's duck full bodies in the closing hole rather than just a bunch of goose decoys.

Just my .02

7. BFG

BFG

One thing I've observed about mallards in cut agricultural fields and goose spreads: If they don't commit on the first pass you better take them on the 2nd swing because otherwise they are just gonna circle and circle and circle...and then you'll hear them chuckling to themselves as they fly away behind you. I've seen birds elevator shaft into the spread from the stratosphere and I've also watched birds approach from 1/2 mile away only to circle 10 times and then boogie. 9 times out of 10...something is wrong with the blinds/concealment. Ducks are coming to that field to eat...if they suspect nothing they don't waste time circling.

8. walter sniper

walter sniper

A good cheap option is buying old floaters on Clist and cutting keels off.

9. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

The best duck decoy is a goose decoy, especially in fields. Spinners are always a bonus! We've had many good shoots with just goose decoys and 1-3 spinners.

10. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

This.