close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

duck in a field

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Walleyemachine0521, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Walleyemachine0521

Walleyemachine0521

i have a field that is loaded with geese and ducks. if I wanted to throw my two spinners out with my goose decoys where should I locate these at? should I even run the spinners or just throw out my goose decoys? any info would be great, thanks!!

2. eriedawn79

eriedawn79

Best thing i have seen for ducks in a field is full body goose decoys.

JBooth likes this.

3. smoke

smoke

Spinners behind you unless you don't care about the flying skunks. aka geese, then right in the hole is where we run em. I only use spinners dry field hunting anymore.

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

We use spinners early in the morning, before those lazy geese wake up. We take them down by 0730

Far Beyond Driven and smoke like this.
  5. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Geese hate em, ducks love em. A lot of times the ducks will try landing on them. Just be ready to pull them or shut em off when the geese are coming.

6. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Spinners and goose deeks on dry land is a great spread for ducks, but geese seem hate spinners. What DecoySlayer recommended above is worth trying if you want to utilize how well spinners work in fields for ducks, but also want a shot at getting geese to commit.

I like to run my spinners closer to where I'm sitting, on the edge of the landing zone.

7. Walleyemachine0521

Walleyemachine0521

thank you for all the responses! I am going to run them for a little while first thing in the morning then put them away. good luck to every one going out this weekend!

8. adam bomb

adam bomb

For ducks put em right where you wanna kill em! They'll try and land right on them. Geese, you better have remotes to turn them off and even then sometimes they won't finish unless you pull them completely.

9. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

i have read a number of articles in magazines, such as wildfowl, saying that geese are even more attracted to duck spinners than ducks are. i guess there are three sides to every story! haha. i do not use spinners anymore, they were banned at harsens and i was strongly against the ban, verbally too. but i must say it has been very noticeable, by this critic even, that the birds have stopped circling and have come in first pass many many times more frequently since the ban

10. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Remotes for the spinners are a must in my book. i shut mine off once I know I have there attention. That's all I use them for are a attention grabber.

Dave636 and adam bomb like this.