Dual Gun Opener

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Riva, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    I support HB-4259, a bill that would establish that a Saturday to start the 16-day Michigan Firearm Deer Season. The is bill was introduced by Representative Kevin Cotter. However; I believe, as it is currently written, this bill is flawed, specifically:

No matter what Saturday is designated to begin the firearm season, there must be a provision whereby the NLP and UP are open to firearms during the weekend after Thanksgiving. Without this proviso, IMHO, this legislation is doomed.

Secondly, I believe that for the purpose of the Michigan Firearm season, that the state be divided into two zones and have their own opening day on the Saturday before and after November 15 respectively. The "North Zone" would consist of the current deer hunting zones 1 and 2. The "South Zone" would be the current deer hunting zone #3.

This would result in the following:

Two opening days, both occurring on a Saturday and running for 16 days

Assures that there will be three full weekends where firearm deer season is open (Always closes on a Sunday)

Allows for the North Zone to extend the season when Thanksgiving occurs after the 16-day season has expired (happens twice within every 7-year cycle).

The following table illustrates the dynamic surrounding a dual opener, occurring on a Saturday, running for 16 days, with accommodations for the North Zone and Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. Tom Morang

Tom Morang

Should read {Always closes on a Sunday}..????

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015

3. Riva

Riva Banned

I fixed it thanks

4. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Riva,
    I think your 2013 and 2014 dates are wrong for the north example.
    FWIW, I would take advantage of a split opener.:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. Tom Morang

Tom Morang

I think it is about time that we have a split opener. A great idea.

However, some deer hunters might suggest the split occure between the UP and the NLP/SLP? I'm not sure which would be best but it's certainly worth discussing.:)

6. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Since everyone is hell bent on changing the opener i could live with going down state to finish off the bow season while the city folk drive north for gun season. Ok im in lets do it.

7. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Another excellent reason for the split!:) (less the derogatory city slicker comment);)

Big T

8. Riva

Riva Banned

When this subject came up last year, many asserted that the NLP is just as vulnerable to bad weather as the UP during late November. That's why the North Zone is now bundled with the UP and the NLP together.

I, for one, like the dual opener because I would hope to be invited to hunt in that region by some of my friends up there (HINT HINT) and likewise, I could invite folks from up there over to my place for the following Saturday opener!

9. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Just think of all the benefits to Yoopers. They can enjoy 2 openers and still come south to bow hunt for a few days before the southern opener!:)

10. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

The argument could be made any number of ways against a later opener in the NLP however, worst case scenario, the opener would be 6 days later than it is now. I highly doubt that many would NOT hunt on the 15th in the NLP if we were to get an early snow storm.
    The bridge is the most logical split and makes enforcement much easier on the MDNR law enforcement division.
    With this proposal I can see the UP enjoying an economic bonanza!:woohoo1:

11. Spartan88

Spartan88

If the shoe fits...:D At least you got to see what NELP deer hunting land looks like last month. ;)

12. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Yup! Some of the most spectacular park effect woods I've ever witnessed.:(

13. swampbuck

swampbuck

Spartan, He didnt see what it looks like unless he was looking outside of club country.

Split season....While it looks good, And I agree that the NLP should be in the North zone(at least above m-55) I still have to refer back to doubting if the current deer population in the UP and much of the NLP can sustain the additional pressure. 5 years ago it would have been fine, Just not right now.

14. sbooy42

sbooy42

..I'm with you and I might keep going to OH where its even a longer wait..

15. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

With the hue and cry concerning the economy and the inability of most to be able to drive "up north" to deer hunt any more, I doubt there would be much additional pressure on the northern herd however, all the extra pressure on the southern herd by rich Yoopers, might help lower our numbers.