close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry fly steelhead

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Pasquan, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Pasquan

Pasquan

Anyone ever use dry flies for steelhead? I just started using flies this last winter/spring and did good on buggers and egg patterns but wondering how they react to dry flies? Thanks

2. gunrod

gunrod Mods

Probably not. Steelhead seem to hold too low. I'd be curious to see if anyone has had any luck with dry flies on steelhead.

3. I wasted a few days waking flies on the usual suspect rivers in W. MI like they do in the Northwest for steel and came up empty. I still have a few Waller Walkers and Bombers in my stash more than likely never to get wet again.
    Here's what they look like...
    http://blacksflies.com/catalog.php?category_id=9

4. Pasquan

Pasquan

Thats kinda what I guessed I would hear...then whats a good choice when they're breaking the surface feeding? Streamers?

5. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Actually yes and had really good success.....once. This was on a lake that connects out to Lake Michigan. We were out for a ride one evening and noticed some steal sipping on the surface. It was really cool. We came back the next night and had a riot. But it was like a one time thing as I've never encountered it again.

shotgunner and REG like this.
  6. Trout King

Trout King

While I have not ever tried dries for steelhead, I have seen summer runs (that weren't heat stressed) taking mayflies off the surface a few years ago. Only time I have seen them come to the surface for a fly.

7. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I use to help my cousin on his boat out of Manistee. We would see steelhead hitting bugs in the scum line and always said we should return and try and fish for them with our fly rods, we never did. I wish we would have, it would of been a blast.

shotgunner and PunyTrout like this.
  8. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

With the exception of a few strays that are caught during the Hexagenia hatch, it's not a standard technique in Michigan.

However, if you can locate the scum line out on Lake Michigan, fishing a Bumble Bee pattern can yield exceptional results...;)

Edit: I just noticed Stickbow's response. I must have been typing mine just afterwards.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    stickbow shooter likes this.
  9. jjc155

jjc155

Ive caught a few over the years waking flies but its def a labor of love (hate) and not something to do if you are looking to caught fish. About the only places that it works consitently is Alaska and Kamchtka but those just may be big rainbows vs actual steelhead.

J-

10. OldBuck

OldBuck

About 20 years ago or so I was casting deer hair bass bugs to smallmouth on a river up north over Memorial Day weekend when when I noticed a few late spawning steelhead on a redd.

Just for grins I skated my bug over the top of them and one came up and slammed it. I did not land it because the light-wire hook straightened out.

A couple years later on a tributary of the Grand, another fisherman was reeling in his egg fly after losing his weight when I witnessed a steelhead hit the fly as it waked on the surface. He did land that one.

Later I read an article in one of the fly-fishing magazines about waking flies for steelhead. I tied and tried, but never had any success. I suppose if the conditions are right and you have the patience and/or desire a challenge, go for it.

11. Benz

Benz

I've landed one last year about this time skating some foam through a trib on the Grand. Awesome experience but wouldn't plan a fishing trip around that technique. Keep one or two in the box and fish them when the indicator isn't working and it's relatively warm and the fish are aggressive.

12. Pasquan

Pasquan

Thanks for all the input...I'm gonna have to try next spring when the conditions are right...I just think it would be awesome but not putting a lot of eggs in that basket haha

13. The Pacific Northwest is a bit of a haven for waking flies to nab steelhead. BC is loaded with rivers where the steelhead look up.

14. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Never tried drys for steel but caught them on wets, and a couple were just waking off teh surface so looked like surface hits. Read about using dries.

NOW I have had them hit a bobber while drifting spawn bags. saw them do this both sprong and fall even with snow on the ground. One repeatedly kept hitting and I joked aboyt adding a hook to the bobber.

Note the bobber was homemade from test tube corks. Painted flourscent orange and a slice length wise about half way through with a razor blade to slip the mono line throught. so you have an idea if you want to spin one from deer hair. ;)

All this was also on two different UP streams that dont see the pressure.
    Skinner

Pasquan likes this.
  15. Pasquan

Pasquan

I wish I had the time to do a fly fishing trip in the NW haha