Drill motor debate

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Some dude, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

Fuel would be my 2nd option no doubt

Some dude likes this.
  2. Some dude

Some dude

Fuel is looking good for the "deals" part of the decision.

P.s. I suck at the shopping part of this process , lol

3. EMU_Flyer

EMU_Flyer

I ran this with laser 6 inch auger and plug and chug all day long in just 2 batteries. I am the guy you see with just my flasher, drill and 5 gallon bucket running around all day long. I've never had any issues the last 6 seasons with this drill JPEG_20201125_183457_1812492886739875285.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. jstanley9798

jstanley9798

I have been running a ridgid hammer drill with NILS auger for a quite a few years now. Been very happy with the ridgid with zero complaints. Don’t think you can truly go wrong with any of the bigger names. Cost wise right now ridgid always has some pretty good deals. There is a combo pack 2 4AH batteries, charger, hammer drill, & impact. Hammer drill has 750 in/lbs. of torque which will do the job. Also, ridgid has a pretty good warranty system for their products. They do have a more powerful one within the octane series but much more coin! This is a deal you won’t beat!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Nodinkdevin, toppm and Some dude like this.
  5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Ridgid octane all day long for this guy

6. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

This is the one I've got. Very happy with the performance I get out of this with a 6" Mora 3 years running. LSA comes in handy. Just had a worn out battery replaced for free with a phone call. It got here in 3 days. The impact Driver is pretty useful too! Don't forget to register the tools, batteries and charger!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Allnight and Some dude like this.
  7. toppm

toppm

Some dude likes this.
  8. Some dude

Some dude

IMG_20201127_140926199.jpg

Well I did it , got the dewalt , one of the bogo choices was an additional 8ah battery ($180. Value) , couldn't pass that up. The Fuel was 20 more and only had 5ah batteries. The Ridgid higher torque one only came with one battery.

Thx for all your help , see you all soon
    Jim

9. Chessieman

Chessieman

I just bought the Dewalt yesterday at Lowes for $249, no ST and free home delivery. Drill, Impact and Saw saw.

10. Big Hoss

Big Hoss

Last year I did the research between Rigid Octane, DeWalt ( not sure model), and Milwaukee Fuel. I was ready just to go with the Milwaukee Fuel, but the Rigid had better performance after doing some research.
    DeWalt...I'm sure they are ok, but as a carpenter in my previous life, I burned up a lot of DeWalt saws n drills, more than any other brand. So that wasn't even considered in my personal decision. I believe DeWalt/ Milwaukee are what K Drill sell's in their packages, but it's been over a year so don't quote me on that.
    I went with the Rigid Octane. Very happy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

William H Bonney and Nodinkdevin like this.
  11. onebad800

onebad800

I got the octane last winter but didn’t get to use it except a trial test on my pond using my adaptor and older hand auger bit and it didn’t drill well? Looking at getting a different auger, what’s everyone recommend? I heard lazer was good.

12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

What auger bit did you use? They should all work the same as if you were hand cranking it quickly.

piscatorial warrior likes this.
  13. onebad800

onebad800

I believe it’s a bass pro redhead brand all red? Nothing fancy simple hand crank style it worked good before maybe the blades need replaced or sharpened?

sureshot006 likes this.
  14. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Could be the blades. So plenty of power, just not cutting? My lazer cuts the same whether hand or drill, but drill just has more RPM, of course.

15. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

If it's all your using it for is drilling ice, any of the ones mentioned work. The batteries are a lot of the cost. So keep in mind, if there are other tools you want, which brand you want to stick with. Gets expensive buying batteries for 3 different brand tools. I had some first generation battery operated Dewalt tools, give up the battery life pretty fast. Went to Milwaukee, haven't looked back. In Dewalts defense, it was some of the earlier made ones. Probably have the same quality going as the other manufactures today.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    -Axiom-, Some dude and sureshot006 like this.