Drill motor debate

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Some dude, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Some dude

Some dude

Did some "search forums" and did some reading , but I thought I would open a new discussion here on our page. I'm ready to make the jump to cordless drill and would love to hear from you guys about the pro's and cons of the various makes/models.

C'mon ice !

2. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin

Ridged octane cordless hands down. Only drill that has enough torque to drill 8”-10” augers. Battery last forever also. One con is having to tighten the chuck every 2 holes or so you drill. With any cordless>auger bit setup I would always have a metal disc or even a frisbee on your auger shaft so if it comes loose from the drill you don’t loose it down the hole you just drilled ;)

3. wateroperator

wateroperator

I've used a 20v Dewalt hammer drill the past 2 years and it's worked great. I just purchased a new Milwaukee Fuel kit this morning.

If you're wanting to run a big ice bit, Clam makes a new plate with a gear box on it. You can run a lower torque drill with it because of gear reduction and the plate also takes the torque away from the body of the drill. In my opinion, running a 10" bit without a plate puts a lot of torque on the drill body itself. The plate also gives you something to rest on the ice, so your drill isn't getting wet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Some dude and sureshot006 like this.
  4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Not true, at least for the 8" augers. Dewalt 996 is plenty. Can't tell the difference between it and the octane side by side. They both have more than enough torque for an 8" lazer and the Milwaukee does, too.

5. fishdip

fishdip

DEWALT 996 has worked well for me.

Fur n Fins 1982 and Some dude like this.
  6. sureshot006

Got me thinking... the clam gear reduction would likely allow lower torque "standard" cordless drills to be used with say, a 6" bit, instead of going out and buying a new drill.

Some dude and wateroperator like this.
  7. Some dude

Some dude

Is there a reason that you are switching from DeWalt to Milwaukee ?

8. wateroperator

wateroperator

Not at all. I have a misc assortment of cordless tools and wanted a new complete set. Most everything is marked way down right now because of black friday. I've had Milwaukee in the past and they were fantastic. There's nothing wrong with my Dewalt tools either.

My 20v Dewalt hammer drill will devour ice all day with a 6" bit and I'm sure it would run an 8" effortlessly.

Some dude likes this.
  9. sureshot006

I have used my Dewalt 996 with a 5ah battery and hole hopped Simcoe with... I believe it was around 18" of ice, with an 8" lazer bit and never had to use the backup battery. In 3 days I put over 100 miles on the quad. I didn't count holes.

My buddy had an octane with 9ah battery and I think 7" lazer. His ran all day as well.

Some dude likes this.
  10. TheCrawdad

TheCrawdad Premium Member

I've ran the Milwaukee fuel for a couple seasons now. That thing is a beast! If I keep my battery warm, I can get twice as many holes drilled compared to leaving it on the back of the rhino. Power isn't ever a problem unless you aren't holding onto it tight enough. It might give you a shiner! I also use it to turn the jacks and lift the truck camper off my pickup. Lots of torque to spare. I bought the k drill 8 inch ice auger. You don't have to worry about losing that one because it floats!
    I haven't tried the others, but have zero regrets on the Milwaukee fuel.

11. Some dude

Some dude

It's starting to sound like any one of the top three DeWalt, Milwaukee , and Ridgid will push my 7in. lazer all day long. Now I need to look into the deals and availability. I appreciate all the input , thx guys

12. sureshot006

Absolutely will. No issues. Personally I'd buy whatever one has a good deal, decent warranty and fits with your other tools if applicable (to use the very expensive batteries interchangeably).

Some dude likes this.
  13. wateroperator

wateroperator

There are lots of great deals right now during Black Friday. Just make sure you get high amp hour batteries with it.

Lever4ever, Some dude and sureshot006 like this.
  14. sureshot006

Yep. 5ah is my personal minimum though depending in how you fish you may get away with less.

15. Nodinkdevin

Nodinkdevin