drift boat discrimination

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by birddog520, Mar 26, 2009.

1. birddog520

birddog520

I have a drift boat and have recently bought a cabin in Roscommon. I think most who fish the holy waters and the mason tract know that the local guides and flyshops discourage driftboats floating these stretches. I have had guides pull over and let me by in the worst possible places where it takes some very tricky manuvering to stay out of the trees. I know they know what they are doing. It seams the local guides and flyshops are way more tolerant to beer drinking, litering, canoe and tubing people on the river than to someone floating a drift boat. (no I am not implying that most canoes and tubers are like that) I am not going to run out and have a riverboat built so I can live up to the romantic veiw of how to fish the Ausable. I will say that we do very little fishing from the boat in these stretches and mostly anchor and wade and use the boat mostly as transportation.

So whats the deal?

-Jeff

2. Splitshot

Splitshot

You’re the deal Jeff. This is class warfare at its worst. Some call it guide waters because if your not a guide, you are assumed not to be one with the river. No problem though if you have one of the accepted vessels. A couple of years ago another member took his drift boat down this stretch and every guide was rude and even some landowners criticized him for using that boat in the river.

They are insensible snobs who think they have more rights to the river than you do and if they can make your experience unpleasant, maybe you won’t come back or tell other people about their little bit of heaven. Remember some of these guys have to feed their families from the tips they earn from pimping out our public waters and your just doing it for pleasure.

How dare you!

3. WhiteyNorris

WhiteyNorris

I feel your pain. You think you've got it bad. We float a lot of small rivers in Michigan using our jon boat...we've been doing it for years. Now that guideshops and guides are flooding a lot of the rivers, we're suddenly the minority and we are definitely looked down upon as we drift by because our boat didn't cost $10,000 and we didn't pay for our fishing trip. Do we care? Not really. Does it leave a sour taste in our mouth when this happens? You bet. I hate to say it but then we start to judge people in driftboats. Classic river warfare. Its an unfortunate but sad truth. Not all guys in driftboats and other high-end river boats fall into that category though. I've had some very nice conversation with some guys that we've played leap-frog with on the river all day.
    Its a public stream, you even have property...put your boat in, drift, fish, and enjoy yourself.

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

About 30 years ago a buddy of mine took me for a short ride on the Holy Waters, in his jet-powered ski boat. It was quick, exciting, and garnered a lot of attention. We blasted upstream at over 30 mph for a short time. We briefly considered trying to waterski. :yikes:

From the response we got, it did not seem like we should do it again; and we did not.

5. ready4pullback

ready4pullback Guest

CORPORATE FLY FISHING SUCKS!!! Anybody who looks down upon someone who's responsibly floating and behaving as a sportsman should be taken out behind Spikes and beaten with their boatpole. Troutpimps... hosers is what they are.:rant: Jeez, I haven't even had any bourbon yet.

6. shanny28757

shanny28757

I havn't experienced this with driftboats vs. riverboats because I don't have either so I always wade when I fish, but...I have noticed this elitist attitude in general among many flyfisherman. I am new to the sport and these people are really turning me off. Myself and the guys I fish with are extremely friendly and like to enjoy the outdoors with others but some people I have met are just rude. Not only have people not been friendly, some have literally ignored mewhen I tried to say hello or have a conversation with them. What is the reason for this?

That being said, I have met some very nice people while fishing that I would not lump in with the other group. I hope my early experiences have just been bad luck and my future trout seasons will change for the better.

7. AllSpecieAngler

AllSpecieAngler

I used to bank fish and wade the Au Sable alot and was regularly harrassed by guides drifting by. I remember once I had a nice steelhead on and a guide was floating close to me and started yelling that I better hurry and land the fish cause he wasn't slowing down and it better not snag any of his lines, and this guy (his client) is PAYING to fish here! I looked at him and said, "So that would make him the idiot for paying some hack to float him down a public river, and if he caused me to lose my fish he may as well turn around and head for the launch or I was gonna follow him as far as I could down the river pelting them with rocks the whole way!" I think he realized I was serious as a heart attack and backed off. We are all paying for the right to use these waters as we see fit via purchasing licenses and renting state owned camping spots like we did. Paying someone to take me fishing on a public body of water is almost as ludacris as people paying for guided stateland deer hunts. Just because we're not paying them(the guides) to take us fishing doesn't give them anymore right to the water than us. Although I know they feel it does. I'm not saying they all are this way, and actually had some that were nice as could be. Just my $0.02 from some experiences I had.

8. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

I have also had a similar negative experience with a guide on the Au Sable three years ago. I was basically pushed out of the water by this guide and his boat. He and his "client" made some idiotic comment to be since I was spin fishing. I do try some fly fishing but I mainly spin fish. That is my choice and that is what I was doing that afternoon.

Instead of making rude comments and thinking that I was keeping every fish I caught they didn't bother to find out that I had caught over a dozen trout, some nice ones, that morning on barb less spinners let them all go.

I tend to stay away from the bigger rivers now for these exact reasons now. I prefer smaller creeks and streams. I would never pay someone guy hundreds of dollars to fish a public river. Sure these guys put people on fish, but at what cost? And don't get me wrong, I have met some very nice people who guide, but they are defiantly the minority IMO. I think half of the fun is exploring a river on your own.

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Totally sound's like Snoop.....

10. ready4pullback

ready4pullback Guest

That guy can be the first in line.

11. AllSpecieAngler

AllSpecieAngler

Who's snoop? My incident was about 7 or 8 years ago. If that helps narrow it down. I am almost certain the boat was red and white if my memory serves me right.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

I dont believe it ray! I actually agree with you!

13. birddog520

birddog520

Thanks for the replies,
    I guess I havent had the same problems with guides as some of you. when wading I have never had a guide be downright rude. most times they will stay out of my way unless they see you fishing enough to recognize me then they may chat while going by. The only time I have had any problems is in my drift boat. It seams as they want they drifboaters on the PM or below Mio. They complain about the canoes stirring up sediment while they are dragging chains down the river?
    -Jeff

14. Shupac

Shupac

As for the drift boat issue if you can keep it clear of the banks and the bottom, go for it. As for unfriendly people in general, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think some fishermen dislike being around other fishermen period--they want their solitude, even on popular waters, and if you happen to run into them, you're "intruding." (There's an easy way to fix that problem of course--if you want solitude, wade a little further, get a boat, or fish the unsung rivers). I like my solitude too, and usually find it by the methods above. But I figure other anglers (regardless of what they fish with, and I fly fish 99.9 percent of the time) are kindred spirits of a sort, and I'll always say hi and chat a bit if they're inclined.