Dreaded crawler harnesses

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by skipper34, Jun 2, 2020.

1. skipper34

skipper34

I must just be too challenged, but is there a trick to untangling crawler harnesses fresh from the package? I just spent hours trying to get them untangled. I have a feeling the answer is "make your own".

2. piketroller

piketroller

You have to guess correctly which end is twisted around the coil. Guess right and it’s easy. Guess wrong and it takes longer.

3. rd2690

rd2690

Yes. Buy the 6” ones made by Jay. I ran them for years on 3/4 online weights and they are awesome. I’ll take them all day long over the 4’ ones, except on a bouncer. You need the long ones on a bouncer. I have a bunch I can sell as I don’t harness fish anymore. I also have the painted I one weights in 3/4, 1, and 1.5 oz sizes and 3 oz bouncers on a long wire. The active fish are suspended so inline weights work perfect. Much better then running everything on the bottom.

4. bapotter

bapotter

Place a few fingers inside the coil and put some tension on the coil. Then take the loop or swivel and start unwrapping it from around the coil. They are typically only wrapped a few times. Once you have the wraps undone you'll feel the entire coil loosen. Now grab the swivel in the hand that isn't inside the coil and then take your fingers out of the coil and let the blade/hooks fall to the floor. It should come undone with no tangles or maybe one or two loops. Hard to explain, but I think the key is to put a little tension on the coil when you first start to unwrap.