close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DP'S WITH NO HAND STRENGTH

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by trapper ed, Sep 6, 2017.

1. trapper ed

trapper ed

Thanks to D&D for his generous gift of traps for my 14 year-old son. We have been working on setting his DPs and he just doesn't have the hand strength, but thanks to this tip from Dave, this is no longer an issue. FYI we used 3/4 PVC.

I am trying to upload a video but am having trouble. It is only letting me up load pictures

2. Seldom

Seldom

You need to buy him an Alcatraz dp to try. I'd bet he can set them because only your thumb is needed/used and they are IMO, a great dp.

3. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Don't feel bad, I have small hands and have never been able to hand set a dp. I just don't have the size or strength. They sell a setter tool for less than 4 bucks that works great.

I even have a few freedom brand models that are quick set. I've managed to set them a hand full of times by hand. Always go for the setter though, tons quicker for me. My 70 year old dad can do it by hand though!

4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

A good sized screwdriver works just fine.

or

DirtySteve likes this.
  5. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

Thanks for the video! I can set them by hand but as I'm getting older it is getting harder each year to do it. I imagine I can probably use a trapping stake to get it done and not have to carry the screw driver.

FREEPOP likes this.